Fabric Conditioner alternative

As I mentioned the other day I have recently been using white vinegar as an alternative to fabric conditioner.  By choice I have been using the lovely scented vanilla fabric conditioner  -  the one that costs an arm and a leg.  However wonderful that smells it has a side effect in that the soap tray has to be washed out on a regular basis as it gets clogged up with the fabric conditioner residue.  I had white vinegar in the house and had read that it makes a good alternative fabric conditioner which I believe it does and I am quite happy to use this and the bonus is it keeps the machine clean.  I buy the vinegar by the gallon from the Cash & Carry at silly prices.

The washing smells lovely and clean when it comes out of the washer and dark fabrics are coming out with a crisper finish and no streaks.  It softens the clothing but it is not as soft as using the fabric conditioner.  I have been more than okay with this and so has OH.  So I intend to carry on using it.  I am conscious that there is always something hidden in a lot of products these days that we do not want.  Using the white spirit vinegar is a cheaper way for me to keep my clothes lovely and clean but I am still looking for an aromatherapy fix as well and have been looking into adding this to the vinegar to see if it will work.

I have had in mind the basis of this being similar to what is known as "Four Thieves Vinegar"which was used by those caring for plague victims and which for the best part prevented them catching the infection.  This is basically a vinegar flavoured with Mint, Lavender, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme and Wormwood and in the book I refer to below comes under the heading "antiseptic vinegar".

Diane asked the other day about options for making the "conditioner" smell nice.  I have found the following in a book by Debora Robertson entitled "Gifts from the Garden".  ISBN: 978-0-85783-081-4.

This is a gorgeous book and has lots of lovely ideas in it.    The recipe for the Fabric Conditioner from that book is as follows:

Ingredients:

Large bunch of basil or mint.
Strip of orange, lemon or pink and yellow grapefruit peel pared with a vegetable peeler and any traces of white pith removed.
500ml distilled white vinegar 
Pretty bottle.

Vinegar not only softens clothes as well as any expensive fabric conditioner it also helps to remove soap residue which can dull the colour of your clothes.  Also unlike commercial conditioners it removes stubborn odours rather than simply masking them.  And as an added bonus if you live in a hard water area, using vinegar conditioner regularly helps to stop the build up of limescale in your washing machine.

Crush the basil or mint gently in your hands to help to release its scent then put the whole stems into a bottle with the strip of citrus zest.  Top up with the vinegar.

Pour about 100ml into the conditioner dispenser of the washing machine for each wash.

I had also thought about adding essential oils but I am conscious at the moment that may cause a stain in itself from the oil so I am not too sure on this at the present time.  I am going to do some research into this.

I have not tried the above as yet, but as Diane asked I thought would share.  

I do have some alternative methods as well but the book I need I cannot lay my hands on at the moment.  I hope this helps.  I think personally it is a good and better environmental option at the end of the day.  I had not realised but some of the conditioners have these blessed beads in them that are causing pollution in our oceans so anything I can do to avoid them at all costs I will do although I am not sure I have used any.

Will do some test driving of different options and will come back in due course.

Catch you soon.  

Pattypan  xx

Comments

Popular Posts