Updating the Diary

Last night I spent sometime going through my Book Cattern Cakes and Lace and marking into my paper diary the different local event dates. Even though I may  not actually post about a particular saint or day it is a way for me on keeping tabs on old customs and letting me know when pancake day is, Ash Wednesday the beginning of Lent etc.  I now have to transpose this into my computer diary but it will be a job well done at the end of the day.  Hopefully this paper diary will once it is completed be transferrable from one year to the next so that it is an aide memoire more than anything else. An action list to be repeated year by year. 

In the paper diary I started on day 1 January 1st to write in all those items I hoped to achieve during the month and I just go down the dates adding things in as I come across them or think oh I must make that next year. I am using a page a day diary. When I do things within the month is then more flexible to me.  However if you are keeping a paper diary yourself you might like to add which days you do this or that.  Mine is essentially a list of things to do within the month of January.  I then have pages for each individual consecutive month with proposed projects and makes and things to do.

I am hoping in due course to produce a recipe spot where all the recipes on my blog can be found for ease- but that will take a little organising.  I am also hoping to have a basic recipe spot as well for things that you make on a regular basis i.e. scones, pancakes, basic cakes etc.  What used to be known as "Housewife's Ordinaire".

Having an interest in the Moon I have also marked in the dates for the new moon and full moon and also the Celtic/Pagan festivals.  All play their place in this mixed life of ours. Different events mark our time here and mark the passing of the seasons.

I shall update January's to make to do list shortly.

When I was a child, we would go to my Nan's at Christmas, Easter, in the summer, end of September and October for the harvesting of the apples, the plums, the soft fruit, the pears the keepers. I would quite like a garden like my Nan had a family garden administered under old practices of leaving one plot fallow one year and then growing in the alternative plot the following.  My grandparents were green and organic before organics became a culture and a way of life.  They worked with the earth and the land and had a healthy respect of this and nature.  They really had no choice as though they were land rich they were in effect cash poor and it was not a choice to grow their own it was a necessity.  I think in many respects we are facing similar situations today.  Unfortunately not everyone has the knowledge they had then to do something about it now.  

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x



Comments

Popular Posts