Tin Can Pantry 2 - Tinned Salmon Recipes - Salmon Fish Cakes

Having the Tinned Can Pantry has always been a boon for me ever since I have had my own kitchen.  It is something that my Nan and Mum have always kept.  Probably due to the fact that you had to feed a family on what you could years ago when there was not the availability or options that are available to us today.  There often were no shops near to you and so you would end up going into the nearest town or City once a month to stock up on provisions whether that be from a market or a Butchers etc.  My grandparents' predominantly used Lincoln Market which was a pretty special market when I was growing up with both an outdoor and an indoor market. No nipping out to the nearest supermarket as they did not exist then.

This recipe for Salmon fish cakes can be made with fresh boiled potatoes if you wish.  However in common practice my Mum or Nan (and myself) frequently used to cook extra potatoes and once cooled kept them in the cold part of the pantry covered on the slab (prior to fridges) or into the fridge, covered and then used within a couple of days. You will need about 1lb potatoes.  It is also a good way of using up old potatoes and making something with them.

Remember if you make a batch of these using a large upright tin of Salmon you will need extra potatoes.

I am using only a small tin of Salmon as OH does not like these as he is not a Salmon fan.  However I always freeze any extra and can then get them out when I need them.  I freeze them uncooked.

Basically mash your cooked potatoes with some milk and butter.  The potatoes need to be fairly stiff so that the fish cakes hold their shape.  Drain the can of Salmon and add it to the mashed potatoe and mash the Salmon into it until both ingredients are amalgamated. Sometimes I add a little cooked broccoli or some chopped chives to the mix. Shape into patties by hand.  I use my Tupperware beefburger shaper and then pop into the fridge to chill.

When ready to cook heat some oil in a pan and then add your fish cakes and cook until golden brown.  Can be served with a salad or chips.  Yumm.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts