Storecupboard Chutney

This recipe is from Jams and Chutneys preserving the harvest by Thane Prince, and is a good standby to make for the pantry - especially if like me you have some dried fruit to use up as its sell by date is fast approaching.

Ingredients:

1 1/1b in weight of mixed dried fruit.
(I have figs, dates, sultanas, raisins, cranberries and currants to use up)
[Dates, apricots, figs, raisins, peaches can all be used]  the dried fruit helps to reduce the cooking time as it helps the chutney thicken quicker
.

3lb cooking apples 
(I have some crabs to use - they are nice and tart so will use some of those - save me buying in any cooking apples)  
[You can also use pears, plums and mangoes]


2 large onions chopped

6 plump garlic cloves chopped

2 inch piece of fresh root ginger grated

1-2 dried red chillies crushed

1 1/1lb light muscovado sugar

1 tbsp of salt 


1 litre cider or distilled malt vinegar


If I haven't quite got what the recipe says I try and use what ingredients I have to hand, however I make a note of what I have used so that I can make the same again if I need to.

Takes up to 1 hour to make and makes approximately 2 1/4 lb

Method

Cut the larger dried fruit into even sized pieces about 1/2 an inch in size.

Put th dried fruitm apples,, onions, garlic, ginger, chillies, sugar and salt into a heavy based preserving pan.  Add the vinegard and stir so that all the ingredients aer well combined.

Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes stirring occasionally until the mixture has reached the desired consistency.

Pot into hot sterlisize jars, cover with vinegar proof seals and label.

Store in a cool dark place.

Will keep for up to a year.

Enjoy with cheese in sarnies or on a plate with sliced meats i.e a ploughmans platter, add a touch to a casserole or to gravy for some extra flavour.  Its up to you what you pair it with.  Just enjoy

Comments

Popular Posts