Vinegar

I have been reading a lot of late about Vinegar , how to make it, its uses in cooking and its uses in cleaning and I have had my nose in a book that I didn't realise I had got. What Vinegar you say - I said that too until I tried it. I had always been bothered that if I used Vinegar for cleaning it would make the house smell horribly vinegary. Far from it, it is excellent with boiling water and washing soda for cleaning the house. It makes the house so much cleaner.

Sorry if I am waxing lyrical about Vinegar, but you are speaking to the recently converted - bit of a bore aren't I. However, having five cats in the household; wanting to be more greener and kinder with my methods of cleaning i.e. leaving minimum carbon footprint etc; I have very sensitive skin and have psoriasis quite badly at times; and also being mean - not having many pennies has made me more watchful and trying to use things that I do have in the house - I always have different vinegars in being a bit of a pickling and preserving fanatic.

I am quite interested in having a go at producing my own vinegar. I have seen special pots to buy to do this, but at the moment I cannot afford £60 for the privilege. Does anyone know of a cheaper source where I can obtain such a pot - she asks hopefully - pretty please.


I have been adding two tablespoons of white vinegar to a kettle full of boiling water in a bucket; I have then added to the hot water 2 tablespoons of washing soda, a squirt of washingup liquid and then cold water until can cope with the temperature comfortably and I have used this for cleaning the kitchen floor and also washing the walls and paintwork down.

I have the cooker to clean tomorrow night and have found the following recipe which I am going to have a go at.

To remove grease and grime and cooking spills from inside your oven:

Make a paste of (225ml) 1 cup of white distilled vinegar and (30g) 1/4 cup of powdered laundry detergent. Heat the oven for five minutes at 180 degrees then turn off. Spread the paste round the oven applying it more heavily to very greasy areas. Leave paste on for an hour then use a plastic spatulato gently scrape the dirt away.

Wipe clean with a solution of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.

I shall let you know how I get on.


I understand also that if you choose to use a chemical remover for cleaning the oven neutralise any chemical odours the first time you put the oven on afterwards, by wiping the inside with white vinegar onto the cloth as the final rinsing agent.

Having the vinegar cleaners means that one general thing will actually clean loads of things, rather than buying a cleaner for this and for that.

Comments

Popular Posts