Malt Bread

I love Malt Loaf, as a snack in between meals served with butter and a slice or two of cheese, followed by an Apple. Its also handy to keep in the tins in case an unexpected guest arrives and you want to serve a little bit of something to eat.  I am therefore on a quest to find a recipe that is quick,simple and tasty and fulfils the moorishness aspect and most of all it makes good eating.  I think this recipe is one that fulfills this criteria.  It might be worth making a couple at a time,  one to eat , and one in the tin, making them every week so that you have a staple supply. (Well it soon disappears in this household)

Ingredients:

6oz wholemeal flour
6oz self-raising flour
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda.
Pinch of Salt
1/2 to 3/4 pint of milk
3 large tablespoons malt extract
3oz dark muscovado sugar
4oz mixed dried fruit

Method

Preheat the oven to 170degrees C/350 degrees F/Gas Mark 3.

Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda, and salt into a large bowl.

Warm the milk, malt extract and sugar together, add to the flour and mix all together.  Stir in the dried fruit and spoon into a greased 2lb loaf tin. Bake for 1 1/4 hours.

Turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool.  Wrap in foil and leave for at least two days before eating.

Comments

  1. This recipe looks delicious. Reading 'malt extract' in the recipe reminds me of primary school, we had to take an old penny a week and a teaspoon. Then each day just before morning playtime our teacher would make us line up with our (clean) spoons and dip it in the malt extract jar, twirling it and hand it back to us so that we could eat a teaspoon of delicousness before play. Does this make me sound ancient?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah - I remember having to have malt extract as a child. Apparently when quite small I loved it according to my mother. However as I grew older I grew to hate it. We used to have the Virol - Uggh! Cannot take it like that now but I absolutely love Malt Loaf. I think in part it was down to the Virol that I survived virus pneumonia as I was always a well built tot!

    Take care

    Pattypan

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts