Thick Sterilised Cream

I have been searching for this for yonks and as I had not found any I thought that with the take over of the company that I had sourced it from originally i.e. Fussells and there was another supplier as well, that with so many useful products that was it.

However I was talking to a friend at work who completely out of the blue mentioned it and I remarked that I had not seen it for years and she said that her mum had got her it recently from B & M, but it is called something slightly different to what it used to be.  Knowing that some of you will also remember this very useful little product I thought I would share.

So a trip to B & M was in order.  I subsequently went and I found it and snaffled seven tins for the pantry shelf as this is something that we always used to have with jelly and fruit for Sunday evening tea.  I am so pleased to have found it again, thanks to a friend at work.

I had some last night with pudding the rest is in the fridge just "chillin" for me to have with pudding tonight.  I can also categorically state that its the same as it always used to be.

This is what it looks like now:


I remember as a child that everything either used to be bottled, came from a tin or came fresh from the veg market, fishmonger or the Butcher. No supermarkets.  People today do not seem to keep a tin store like they used to but this is something that I regularly do or have done to date as a quick meal or pudding can be obtained quite quickly or they can be cooked and turned into something else.  Do any of you also keep a tin store and is there an ingredient/blast from the past that you have not seen for years.

Love to hear from you.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. The only cream I ever had as a child was tinned and I didn't know that you could get it any other way. We didn't have a fridge so lots of our food was tinned or bought fresh each day. I think it is handy to have some tinned food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, it was the same with us. Either the tinned cream or the Ideal or Carnation milk. It was only when we went to my Nan's that we used to have a cheats way of getting cream which was my Nan taking the cream off the top of the milk every day and popping it in the fridge. When it was full at the weekend she used to whip it up and it used to be a very slack whipped cream; however I have no recollection as a child of cream coming in a pot similar to what it does today. My Nan always set store on her tinned produce. As there were no shops in the village where she lived they used to go into Lincoln to the market and also to what stores there were then for the bits that they could not produce themselves. My Mum also did the same; I suppose that is why I have followed on in the same vein as I was brought up to it. Take care lovely to hear from you Tricia (aka Pattypan)

      Delete
    2. I’m currently shaking a can of fussel’s cream.

      Delete
  2. Mum used this on a trifle every Sunday teatime but it was Nestle then. I am now 66 so it was quite a long time ago. I remember having to shake it really well to get the cream mixed up. I always try to keep a stock of some tinned food in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat

      That is when we used to have it - there was another variety that mum used which was neither Nestle, Fussels or Carnation but the name evades me. Yesterday when I went to have mine I shook it and shook it but it did not go real thick like it used to in the tin but it did with a whisk and a little sugar. I keep a stock in of different tinned things as OH can get himself something quickly if needs be. Thanks for popping by and lovely to hear from you.

      Tricia aka (Pattypan)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts