Weather - Gorgeous and a variation on Spaghetti Bolognese

Has been a lovely sunny day here today although the wind still had a little chill to it.  But still lovely to see the sun out in all its glory after such a grey winter thus far.

I met up with a friend for lunch  - time goes too quickly when you enjoy yourself.  We only get about an hour but it is time enough to catch up.  

I then came back home via Waitrose.  Nipped in and got some milk (6 pints), a tin of carnation evaporated milk, a pack of Aberdeen Angus lean mince, a bag of frozen mixed veggie leaves, a 1kg bag of spaghetti a bag of prepared Soffrito.

I had in mind a recipe I had seen where some pasta was cooked and then topped off with just a passata sauce, grated cheese and some cooked sprouted broccoli.  However I did not have the broccoli saw the mixed leaves which were frozen and relatively cheap and thought that they would make a good substitute.

When OH came back from work we walked Missy and gave her a good run and then I came back and cooked tea.  With the assistance of some strong cheddar out of the fridge and a jar of tomato passata, I set too and gently fried the lovely lean mince until browned and then added half of the bag of the Soffrito mix, mixed in and then added some dried chives, marigold powder, a couple of beef stock cubes, some Herbes de Provence, two garlic loves, some salt and then the tomato passata. I then cooked this through and then added the rest of the Soffrito.

In a separate pan I then cooked a good two cupfuls of the frozen veggie leaves until cooked but still retaining their shape and still being crisp as opposed to soggy.  I then set these aside to strain in a colander and put a cloth over the top.

In a separate pan I bought some water to the boil and then cooked the spaghetti. When cooked I then drained these.

I then layered the spaghetti on two plates, then added a good ladle and a bit of the ragu mix and then piled half of the green veggie leaves.  These were then topped off with loads of grated cheese.  

Normally I am not too keen on spaghetti Bolognese I have always found it rather starchy and heavy.  However with the addition of the mixed veggie leaves it really lightened the dish up and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I shall certainly be cooking this one up again.  

When I cook if I don't have the necessary ingredients I do tend to use what I have usually using something very similar and strong cheddar cheese instead of parmesan.  Makes for cheap, filling and tasty cooking.  OH said he had enjoyed it too.

Right had better get cleared up.  A lot to do tomorrow.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts