Sunday Catch up

As it was cold last night we did not do a lot.  I did some research on some existing books that I have had for a little while and I have come upon a lot of stuff that I want to have a go at.

The main focus for me last night was the book "Put Em Up Fruit" by Sherri Brooks Vinton who has a previous publication entitled "Put Em Up".  The Put Em Up Fruit ISBN number is ISBN 978 1 61212 024 9.  I do have both books but cannot locate the other one at this precise time.  Both are fantastic books.  One of the reasons I like buying cookbooks is that each one of us has a different take on how to do things which gives us very different results.  When it teaches you to look at ingredients in a different way that is epic as it liberates your approach and methods to preserving.




I think one of the main reasons that people do not preserve food for their pantry shelf is that they do not really know what to do with the preserve once it is made or indeed how to use it. There are lots of recipes that have survived but the culture and practice of actually using them has in many instances been lost. For me there are no hard and fast rules but for people needing some guidance as to how to use the different preserves available this has some super little recipes which are ideal for families. Take for instance there is a spiced chicken salad which uses Apricot Habanero Salsa.  There are home made Spring Rolls with an Asian Dipping Sauce which uses home made Apricot jam as a base or Sticky chicken legs also using the Apricot jam as a base. Blueberry jam is used in Pan roasted chicken with a Blueberry reduction.

I was remembering in an earlier post that when I was younger we used to have cheese rolled in almonds with Grand Marnier flavouring that you used to be able to purchase on a commercial basis. In this book there is a recipe for Nut crusted Goat cheese with Cherry Mostarda or Turkey wraps with Cherry Almond Relish, which basically gives me the key to creating my own flavoured cheese at home. There is also Saute Duck breast with a cherry reduction, which uses a basic cherry jam as its base. Cranberry and Quince preserves are used to fill Crepes.  This book really makes you think about the ingredients you are using in a completely different light.  It is just not a pot of jam but can be used in many ways.  More ways than we are perhaps using them at present.  Grapefruit segments in a Lavender syrup  (or a plain syrup) ideal for puddings and also for breakfast. There is also a Grapefruit Liqueur which is tempting me a the moment which uses Vodka.   There is a vegetable stir fry with a Lemon and Ginger sauce which uses Lemon Marmalade as its base.  Our friend Jan (RIP) used to nick my homemade plum jelly and use it as a base for stir fry.  Basically this is what a lot of the recipes do but in slightly different ways.

All the recipes sound full of flavour and are tempting my taste buds at the moment.  It certainly is a feast of ideas.  Having something on your pantry shelf that you can use in a myriad of ways is also extremely helpful as it saves pennies at the end of the day and inspires us to try something new with something that is already on the pantry shelf.

Sunday itself has been a slow day with just a little pottering going on. and some small tasks undertaken. Although nothing too onerous.  We have walked the dog had tea and have watched some TV - very low key. I have though started to compile a list of some preserves that I would like to make this month and throughout the year.  Initially I will be using some bits and bobs left over from Christmas and after that will be focusing initially on Citrus preserves and Marmalade.  So there is a lot to do and a lot to plan.  I am looking forward to getting started on the preserves again.

I m also hoping to get into a new routine with the housework this week and getting things back into gear again.  I have lots of plans for cooking but I need to be able to work safely whilst doing them.  Will see how it goes and some of it is as I have said before dependent on other things being done before I cn get back into full throttle.

Right am off to do some crochet.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Those sound excellent books Tricia. I look forward to seeing what you make and how you use it in due course.

    I've not made much jam this year, and can't make chutney any more because it affects my asthma so with the vinegar fumes.

    I'm looking forward to crafting again when we've moved and unpacked. Too many UFO's though - will have to work on one of those in tandem with something new. I have my big heirloom quilt to make, using William Morris fabrics and I found lots of projects when tidying and packing my craft things - some crochet and x-stitch, so plenty to keep me busy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts