A bit of a roundup

I wasn't very good last night after getting back from the workout, felt very weak and as though I had a temperature.  In any event I ended up going to bed early and slept heavily to start with and then fitfully.  I was dreaming as well which did not help.  Trouble is cannot remember what I was dreaming about.

Felt brighter after getting up this morning, and it has been a relatively busy day, 

It has predominantly been a cleaning day but I still have lots more to do though.

Today has been strip the fridge out day.  I have a large Samsung Larder fridge with a drink dispenser on the outside (I have to fill it up). I like chilled water and in an effort to drink more water, I have decided just to keep it stocked with water with squash in the fridge to grab a drink if I need one.  I do have a dispenser jar somewhere a Kilner one for drinks as well and if I can find that will probably make up some flavoured water as well.  The fridge also has two very large drawers on the bottom and several shelves.  I have been through it with the proverbial toothcomb i.e a dish brush and a bottle brush to get into all its little wrinkles.  (This is a monthly job but it takes a good couple of hours).

The fridge is all now nice and clean and spotless and I can find what I want in there now.  I had been shopping to the Butcher's earlier on in any event and we have come back with a tray of Lamb Chops, tray of Mince, tray of Sausages, a Gammon, a pack of smoked Bacon, a Pork Loin joint and a tray of Burgers.  That will do us for a few days meal wise and if necessary will pop back again next week.  They do a 4kg pack of thick chicken breasts for £30 and lots of other offers £25 for three thick lamb joints (looked like the thigh).  Sadly nowhere for freezer.  Maybe there could be with a bit of jiggling, but am going to have to really work on that one.  I prefer a chest freezer rather than an upright but might just have room for an upright.  

I have also topped up on a few veggies and also some fruit.  I found pears reduced at the supermarket and came back with five bags. £1.24 a bag of about 6). These in the first instance are going to be used for some pears in syrup.  I shall make some bulk sugar stock up tomorrow and then pop it into the fridge.  Hopefully might be able to get to the pears tomorrow night.  There are a couple of other recipes I want to have a go with as well, so will see what I can find on my travels.

I really would like some mixed fruits for bottling i.e. Raspberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries that sort of thing for some mixed fruits in syrup.  I may have to buy these frozen and then make from there, (unless I can get a bargain) and probably adding in a bit of apple as well.  Lovely served with ice cream.

I also bought some nectarines and these are also going to be processed in syrup. I have bought four trays of these thinking that they were peaches.  I shall make use of these, yet again reduced.  However I still need peaches, and think the nectarines will also be put into syrup.  If I can get reduced oranges, apples. grapes, pears and peaches at the veg shop/supermarket tomorrow, I will make fruit salad if this is the case.  I may be able to source a few of them as they normally have reduced apples and oranges.

More Cherry tomatoes were bought and hopefully will get some more from the veg shop tomorrow as I am after making some pasta sauce.

Chicken stock will be made tomorrow and then hopefully processed on Thursday as it will need to be left to cool in the fridge.

I have also seen some of the Howgate Wonder apples at the veg shop and so I shall see if I can get a couple of kilos of those.  These are superb cooking apples and also known as the Diabetic Apple as they are relatively sweet and you do not need to use much sugar with them if at all.  I like Bramley apples but these are better than a Bramley.

Peppers, mushrooms, apples, more plums, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, onions, beetroot, shallots, pickling onions, cucumber and red cabbage are on the list as is swede, parsnip, more carrots.  Some I may be a bit early for but I am keen to put up as much as I can one way or another.  I also need another net of onions and two trays of eggs.  One tray I want to pickle, but I need to look for some white vinegar.  Supermarket near me has stopped selling it rather conveniently near enough every preserving item on the pickling front they have stopped doing.  Will have to look elsewhere.

Tomorrow is therefore going to be another day tidying up.  I think it will be the dining room to start first thing I have a bit of tidying to do as a result of cleaning the fridge.  Fridge is resident in the dining room as there is nowhere to put a fridge in the kitchen.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts