05.06.2009 My Day

I suppose today has been a really lazy day because of the constant heat and I don't tend to sleep too well in this hot weather. I spent a little while first thing catching up on my favourite blogs and then posting some on here as well.

Its been a kind of introspective day for me today where things and posts have been sparking memories that I thought were dormant but which have come back with a rush of pleasure and a tinge of sadness for what is past.

Yesterday evening I started to re-arrange the books shelves by the fire in the front room - I have a lot of classical literature in lovely bindings, but for practicalities sake have had to box them up and put them out the way so that I can put out some of the books I do use on a constant basis, my preserving and cooking books and my craft books. That is still work in progress as there are still some more to come down later on and there are still more books to box and put up. And I have an ever growing wish list of books that I would eventually like at some point. I love my books and use them extensively. There is no hope for me where books are concerned, I love them; love looking at them it is a very tactile experience for me. I don't like cd/dvd books it really is not the same.

At the moment I have lots of ideas of what I would like to do, and am busy gatthering little bits and bobs together like pretty fabrics, muslins etc. and then I intend to have a serious play. I would also like to have a go at candle making and soap making in due course. I have also created a "shopping list" for all those items I need to have a serious play.

I have courgettes only little ones, but one of them will be rather nice roasted with the pork I think. Don't laugh its only a wee one but it is my first courgette this season



Then melon and ginger for sweet, or the remnants of a home made tarte tatin which I had for tea last night with ice cream. It was absolutely scrummy as the pictures below show.





I also managed to get a lot of cheap peppers for 50 pence a bag which I have prepared for the freezer - I make a lot of stir-fried meals where a bit of everything goes in - its a good way of using up what you have in the fridge. So have 5 bags of two plus portion bags esconsed in the freezer together with a couple of bags of leaks. So I am quite pleased that for a little bit of effort on my part I have 5 potential veggies for stir fried/chicken dishes during the week.



We have had torrential rain this afternoon, but we needed it - we only had it for a little while but it has freshened up everything which I am quite pleased about. Mind you the cats weren't too happy and came flying in the back door rather rapidly.

Whilst I was doing the preparation for tonight's tea, I got a visitor/Administrator - she came to oversee operations, and came and parked herself on the open kitchen window ledge a strip of approximately 3 inches. When it comes to food she just has to poke her nose in. Bless her heart - she is every hopeful of an extra tit bit here and there. Of all my cats, Squeak is the one who has to be near me if not on me and is usually the first to greet me in a morning.



We are having roast pork for dinner tonight with sage and onion stuffing, home made apple sauce. I prepped all the vegetables earlier on, we are having roast potatoes, roast parsnip and onion, new potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, shredded buttered cabbage, peas and a little mashed potato and gravy.






And here are the cooked items







<

Comments

  1. That dinner looks delicious, I must try doing onions as well next time I roast Parsnips. I share your love of books, this house is full of them, cleaning outone of my book cases takes me hours because I get sidetracked looking at the books. My husband's books can be whizzed through quickly but not mine, I find all kinds of treasures I'd forgotten about and old favourites that I can't resist. I've never tried candle or soap making though both attract me, I shall have to see how you get on when you try:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rowan

    I am not a fancy cook just a plain one, but I was taught well at school as the teachers I had taught us the old fashioned way of cooking which meant it gave us the know how to have a go at something that we had never tackled before. I prefer if I can to do the roasts around the meat, but it is not always possible to do this. I don't cook with a lot of salt either as OH has high blood pressure so for roast pork I never salt to get cracklin I just use a very high heat for the first hour then turn down. Usually have Gas Mark 6. Some meats don't have the browning effect for roasties like chicken, and have found through trial and error to use pork dripping or goose fat and then adding in onion - which caramelises easily with a sprinkling of salt on and makes the rosties nice and golden Usually does the trick and adds a little more oomph and flavour to a good meal. I also do sweet potato and pumpkin/squash the same way and if you have a combination of all these veg and there is any left over makes the base for a good soup.
    I also get side-tracked when sorting things like my books out. I will let you know how I get on, I have a grater, an old pressure cooker, a separate jam thermometer, and some of the ingredients to hand as well as some goggles for eye protection and now have to accumulate some of the ingredients will let you know how I get on. I have some beeswax sheets which I bought in a kit form to do some proper beeswax candles, which involves rolling the wax sheets around the wick. Will let you know how I get on and probably do some photos in due course. Take care and thank you for your continued support.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts