Elderflower "Champagne"

I intend to make a couple of batches of this, this year whilst the elderflowers are abundant. I first came across this as a child at my grandmother's. She always used to make this and I must say that Elderflower Wine and Elderflower Champagne are still firm favourites with me.

Ingredients
4.5 litres/1 gallon water/8 pints
650g/1 1/2lb loaf sugar/Sugar
1 juicy lemon
4 large heads of elderflowers
2 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Method

  1. Warm a little of the water, then stir in the sugar until it has dissolved. Leave to cool. Then squeeze the juice from the lemon then cut the rind into four pieces discarding the white bitter pith.


  2. Put the flowers in a large non-metallic container ( I use a white polythene brewing bin)and add the pieces of lemon rind, the sweetened water, remaining water and the vinegar. Stir then cover and leave for 4-5 days.

  3. Strain off the liquid and pour into clean screw topped bottles/or swing top bottles. Leave for 6 days by which time it should be effervescent. If it is not, leave for up to another 4 days.

  4. Serve chilled as a fragrant refreshing summer drink.
Enjoy nature's fizz

Comments

Popular Posts