Pineapple Coriander and Lime Relish

I have been playing in the kitchen today - and have made a batch of Pineapple, Coriander and Lime Relish.  And so far from the little tastes I have had its going to be a winner.  The only thing I would say that is if you are not keen on chilli only use part of the amount in the recipe.  The recipe is taken from Ghillie James' Jam Jelly and Relish ISBN 9787-1-85626-909-4 originally £16.99 but I located mine for a fiver.   I  really like the recipes from this book and the suggested uses too.  Brilliant.

The author indicates that this is a relish that will complement both fish and chicken dishes.

Makes about 1 litre - keeps for about 6 months (might be worth making a double batch)

1 large pineapple peeled and cut into medium sized chunks
2 red onions peeled and chopped
5cm piece of fresh root ginger peeled and finely chopped
2 long red chillis deseeded and chopped
2 large garlic cloves peeled and sliced
1 small bunch fresh coriander stems and leaves chopped but kept separate
225g granulated sugar
225 ml white wine vinegar
juice of three limes
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Method

Put all the ingredients except the coriander leaves into a large pan and gently bring to the boil.
Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated and the rest
looks syrupy.
Stir in the coriander leaves then immediately transfer to warm sterilised jars and seal.

It made 3 standard jars - the only thing I would say is that when bottling transfer the solids and pack each jar with these first and then go back and add the syrup between the jars.  From the immediate taste I really like this relish already but am going to keep a few weeks before use as I usually do and I will probably make some more of this in between times.

NB Ooops!  I got so carried away with making this relish that I forgot to add the coriander - I have since found it sat on the side waiting to be included  - don't worry though it tastes good without it.  Naughty Pattypan!  Needless to say it will go into the next batch. I will definitely be making some more of this one.

|Have more things to play with

Catch you later

Pattypan

xx

Comments

  1. My mouth's watering just reading this post.
    Must give this a try.
    thanks
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladiesIt doesn't taste too bad at the moment, despite the vinegar. I intend to keep it for a month at least before I try it.

    Kay and Sime Hope you had a good trip and that Bebe and everyone is okay. Have also made some Hot Hedgerow Chutney. Glad you are back

    Pattypan
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts