Beautiful Creamy Mashed potatoes

The more cooking I do, the more I want to do.  It is something that I have always loved and been reasonably good at.  But there have been a few hiccups along the way - as there normally is why you find out what goes with this and what goes with that and how you do this and how you do that.

I must say that I was bought up with how to handle a potato masher - the oval one on a handle with slots in the metal base and I was taught by my mum how to wield this quite effectively. They come in round and square these days as well.  However these days to achieve beautiful creamy mashed potato, I prefer a potato ricer to crush the potatoes and to get rid of any lumps.  Its a lot easier on my hands as well. I run the boiled potatoes once drained through the potato ricer a few at a time pressing them into a bowl and then once all the potato has been processed like this I run the potato masher around it, add a little butter and some milk or cream and pop them under a tea towel on top of the cooker whilst I finish serving up the rest of tea.  It tastes good too and the finish on the potatoes is perfect - not too compacted and not too starchy.

In the winter months I prefer mash it is comfort food of the highest order and if you work full time then you need a slow cooker in which to cook a simple meal that will be more or less ready when you get home.  That is apart from the potatoes which feasibly could be prepared and boiled within 30 minutes.  Lovely hot tasty tea with a lovely accompaniment.

But you can always ring the changes by making champ or colcannon both tasty ways of serving mashed potato.

Do you have a special way in which you process the humble spud or in which you serve it.  Would love to hear from you.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan


x

Comments

  1. Hi, I love mash and indeed potato in all its forms. As it happens I just posted about using up your potato peelings on my blog, Here it is if you're interested. http://goingmyownway-moontide.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/in-praise-of-potato-peel.html
    I look forward to all your posts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts