Drifting into Autumn






This past week or more we seem to be in autumn quicker than what we usually are.  Nature's time clock seems all adrift.  The nights have been colder as well spiders are spinning webs, fungi both edible and non seems to be popping up everywhere.  More and more reason to put as much stuff to one side for the winter months to keep your family going before the supplies run out.  Its up to you to provide your food for your family otherwise you will not remain healthy during the colder months.  I think more and more we should be putting stuff away.  I refer to mine as "The Putdown".  I squirrel all sorts of things away to use throughout the year and also predominantly in the winter months.  Even just a few jars of jam gives you a bit more choice in preparing something to eat.  You can add this to home made rice or semolina puddings, make jam tarts, add to a Victoria Sandwich, have on toast for tea or for breakfast etc. etc.  So to me it makes sense to do a bit and add a bit more variety and quality along the way.

So to keep us warm and to give OH a good meal after a day at work I have made a cottage pie. I have a big pyrex serving dish which I use for meals like this, predominantly lasagne but today it is Cottage pie.  The mince which was the better quality mince was reduced to £1.25 a pack. I bought two packs and used both.  There is nothing wrong with it the meat is a nice colour and it has made up well.  I have then done the mashed potato myself using the ricer as it comes up a bit better than using a potato masher which I am quite nifty with but despite what you do sometimes there is just that bit of potato that ruins the finish so more and more I have taken to using the Ricer.

Its been quite therapeutic cooking this afternoon.  I used my mum's old steamer the one I use for doing the Christmas pudding and hand peeled the taties and then added a sprinkle of salt and then boiled them and they have come up well.  Just like mum used to do.  Once the potatoes are cooked and once I have riced them I then add a little butter and some milk and a little more salt and then mix it in and then spread it over the cottage pie filling (which consists of fried onions, peas, shallot, carrot and then a little gravy stock, some lea and Perrins, etc.etc.  I would have to shoot you if I gave you the whole list, but you get the drift.  And of course it is topped with loads of grated cheese.  I use a very strong cheddar is it gives the cottage pie lots of umpffh!  We all need a little umpffh every so often and after all the cheese is one of the best bits of cottage pie.

Do you know I am craving Treacle Pudding, soft homemade Treacle pudding with lost of custard.  I am salivating at the thought.  Sunday night tea I think.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts