Memories of Christmas and Chestnuts

When you talk of Chestnuts one of the most immediate views in ones mind's eye is the song Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire made famous by Bing Crosby, A Christmas song and one loved by our family.

Here are the words for those who are already humming to yourself.


The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)"


Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir
And folks dressed up like Eskimos
Everybody knows a turkey and some mistletoe
Help to make the season bright
Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow
Will find it hard to sleep tonight

They know that Santa's on his way
He's loaded lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh
And every mother's child is gonna spy
To see if reindeer really know how to fly

So I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from one to ninety-two
Although it's been said many times, many ways
Merry Christmas to you

So I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from one to ninety-two
Although it's been said many times, many ways
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas to you


For me this brings back all sorts of memories; being at my Nan's predominantly in front of a blazing fire in the middle of winter and us children being snuggled up near the fire on the floor and the adults full seated, talking, sharing animated.  Very happy days.

In reality however I first came across Chestnuts one Christmas as a little one; we had not been in Peterborough for very long and I was about 7 years of age.  We had been up to the market, it was a Saturday and dad visited the costume jewellery stall that was on the market for quite a lot of years and he bought me and my mother a piece of costume jewellery each.  He bought  my mum a  brooch and he bought me my first brooch and pinned this to my coat.  I felt so grown up.  The brooch was a swirl decorated with highly polished cabochons and small stones that looked like gold but with all sorts of rainbow colours in it.  I still have this although one of the stones has gone missing.

The Sally Army Band was playing as it always did, in the centre of Bridge Street  and it was terribly cold. We have always given to the Sally Army as they do so much good and we would always be handed pennies each to drop into the pot of the collectors. I was wrapped up in my green stripey coat which I loved and with sheepskin mitts a dark brown pair that my Aunty had bought for me and they were cosy, and a thick woollen scarf and hat that my mum had knitted for me.  As usual I was with my Dad and my brother with my mum.  There was a man with a hot brazier selling brown things.  I had not seen Chestnuts before that time and my Dad stopped and bought a bag of the hot Chestnuts and encouraged us both to try them.  I remember that they were hot on the hands as Dad passed me one and I tried it  and I fell completely in love with Chestnuts as I believe did my brother.  From then on in at Christmas time if the Chestnut man was there Dad used to buy a bag and it would be shared between us.  Dad and mum also regaled us with stories of when they were growing up in Lincoln come Christmas and that there would always be a Chestnut man and often he had a Hurdy Gurdy which would also be playing.

Move on quite a few years and I am in Lakeland and they have a Chestnut/Brazier saucepan available.  This is basically a metal pan which looks like a frying pan but has lots of holes in the base. Although it was sold specifically for Chestnuts it can be used for a variety of things. Since then at Christmas I have cooked our own hot chestnuts.  It is quite a few years since this pan was available in the shops but I think it is now back in the stores as I have seen something similar recently and I think it was Lakeland but not absolutely sure.  Hot Chestnuts at Christmas are therefore one of my treats to me along with mulled wine and Gluhwein. Yum  I always buy them in the run up to Christmas and there are all sorts of recipes in which you can use them, my favourites of which I will post shortly.

Do you have memories of Christmas's when you were young?  Look forward to hearing from you with them.

Catch you soon.


Pattypan xx



Comments

Popular Posts