Collecting things

I have always had a penchant for pretty expensive things probably spurred on by the fact that my Nan had a tiny pretty china cabinet where she kept all her best bits of glass and china things that she did not want children to touch.  My Aunty was the same and so going frequently between the two households and the fact that my mum had a few nice bits and bobs as well it was something I was brought up to.  Something I have carried on over the years. 

In particular I love Roses I always have done so particularly the old fashioned roses that my grandparents used to grow in their garden.  Roses with lots of scent and I suppose indirectly my love of Roses has "coloured" my choice of soft furnishings and things like that. 

So every so often I treat myself to a bit of something to either go with something I already have or to start a new collection entirely and my latest collection is a high tea table set.  It is how I spend my pocket money apart from on my craft work but as I don't drink and don't smoke and everything for me is home orientated when I can it is good to treat myself.  It might only be a cup here, a couple of plates there for next to nothing but it is all part of me building something up out of nothing.

A few weeks ago now I managed to buy a six piece Colclough Enchantment china tea set six cups, six saucers five tea plates for a very good price (well under £30).  Since then I have added a couple of extra tea plates so in effect I have a spare.  this evening I have purchased another three trios so we are now up to a nine piece place setting only another three and I will have a full complement of 12 pieces which is what I was aiming for in the first place. Well that's nearly done that then.  Another three pieces on the way.  I also have two large cake plates to come that means I just need the milk and sugar basin and if I can locate it a proper tea pot.





So nearly a complete set.   Very chuffed. So that's the best tea service for Sunday afternoon tea sorted.  There is also a cake stand as well  - not sure whether it is an original or one that has been made up out of some plates but (think it is made up) but I do love a proper tea table for high tea especially when little sandwiches are displayed together with little tiny cakes.  Nothing grander than high tea with a nicely laid table and a pretty cloth and lots of tea.  I was lucky enough last year to go to a friend's for a birthday tea at the Orton Hall Hotel which is where my step-son married last year and that was fantastic.  I was also treated to a full high tea by my brother and his family for my birthday present which was also very nice.

Now to source some really nice cake knives and forks and I also have some pretty shell like fruit spoons which I would also like to add to.  I have some that I inherited from my Nan and a range of other cutlery that she gave to me but not a full set but more important to me because they are link with her and my Pop, and  memories of sitting down to dinner, or tea and celebrating quality family time. So I am going to try and match them up so yet again I end up with a 12 piece set.  For me a lot of the charm is actually collecting things up and making sets out of things just with patience, timing and not spending too much cash.  The pieces that I received from my Nan were pieces that she treasured and she wanted me to have them so that I could have a nice table.  When she passed I was left a little money from her and that is what bought my pine dining table and eight chairs.  So everything has a rhyme and a reason in my home overlapping generations, memories and usage.

So that is this month's treat completed.  I might buy a few more trio sets as spares in the future but will see how things go.

This is all part of the collection for the dream house part of my way of bringing things into reality little by little and it will happen one day I am determined to do that however Rome was not built in a day and creating something little by little gives me an awful lot of pleasure.

Catch you soon.

Comments

  1. What I read from this is afternoon tea; high tea is a Scottish thing - a main course - egg and bacon, ham salad, fish and chips - with bread and butter, scones, pancakes, then cakes. Not the same thing as afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello you are quite right about High Tea. However my Nan always had High Tea on a Saturday evening - she worked full time during the week and the family ate well but Saturday night tea was always that bit more upmarket. When I went out to the hotel and also the vouchers my brother gave me for tea both were labelled on the selling front as "high tea". Sunday afternoon tea was always just a few buns and some fruit, jelly and cream and a few savouries such as sausage rolls and coconut cheesecakes and a sponge cake. But really High Tea in our family was always celebrated on a Saturday. The tradition came from what my Nan told me via her mother who was English and my Great Grandfather's side who were Irish. On my Grandfather's side we have both English and Scottish so I think our family version of High Tea became a blend from both sides. Fish and Chips were always on a Friday night. Thanks for commenting.

      Tricia x

      Delete
  2. What a pretty set. I think you must have a VERY big china cabinet though! The design we seem to come across most is the Royal Albert Old Country Roses pattern, which is still very popular.

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, it is pretty. I have a confession to make. I don't have a china cabinet. I have seen many that I like and would love but we have always said that if the house ever puts in an appearance we would buy some vintage display cases to pop everything in and keep it safe. This house is not safe to have the china etc out in because it is not particularly big so only a few pieces are in the front room where the cats are not allowed. I love the Royal Albert Old Country Roses as well but I don't have room for both sets. I managed to get two three tier cake stands and double cake stand as well to go with the set so I have the bulk of it just the other little bits. I just love Roses especially the old scented varieties. The one you have in your garden sounds glorious. Catch up properly soon. Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts