A Batch of Scones



One of the things I miss most is my mum's scones.  She rarely put fruit in them preferring to make a plain scone and we used to have them either with butter and jam on them or on special occasions jam and cream.

Whilst flipping through one of my cookbooks the other day a Paul Hollywood bread book I found a recipe for a batch of scones.  The recipe has been talking to me and my mouth salivating so I am determined to give it a go and see what happens. and see whether or not I like them.  If I do I shall adopt the recipe but it has to be seriously good to beat my mum's recipe which I think came originally from a little Be Ro flour booklet.  The scones should keep well in a cake tin I have to hand and which is currently empty.

Scones are always handy to have to hand as they make a quick snack as well as being handy for the lunch box or if someone pops round unexpectedly for a coffee or a tea.  My Nan always used to "keep something in the tins" for such an occasion.  A good habit to get into I believe.

Here is the recipe which apparently makes 15 to 18 scones.

Ingredients:

1lb 2oz/500g strong white flour plus extra for dusting
2 medium eggs beaten, plus 1 egg beaten for eggwash
3 oz/75g castor sugar
1 oz/30g baking powder
3oz/75g softened butter
8fl oz/225ml milk
3 1/2 oz/100g sultanas

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees C/425 degrees F/Gas mark 7.

Line a baking tray.

Put all of the ingredients except the eggwash and sultanas into a food mixer and using a paddle blade mix for about 2 minutes on slow speed.  You can also mix by hand and this will take about 5 minutes.

Incorporate the sultanas into the dough and tip out onto a lightly floured surface.  Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches/3-4 cm thick then using a round cutter cut out the scones (I normally use a 2 to 3 inch/5-7.5cm cutter for hotel sized scones).

Put the scones onto the baking tray and brush with the eggwash.  If you have time chill the eggwashed scones in the fridge for 30 minutes before baking to help with a straight rise.

Remove the scones from the fridge and brush the tops again with eggwash being careful not to let it dribble down the sides as this will hinder their rise in the oven.  Bake for 15 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool a little. Serve warm.

We shall see what they turn out like and if they are a success photos will follow later on.


Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. Looking forward to hearing how the scones turn out. There are two schools of thought anout scones-egg versus no egg. I do both kinds, but a friend told me to use diluted yoghurt instead of buttermilk, no egg, and brush the top with a small yoghurt wash. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts