Bitza Macaroni Cheese



Sometimes  the best kind of cooking is when you throw a load of ingredients together and think ooh what am I doing here but in fact the mixture ends up turning out very tasty and spot on.  That is what happened to me last night.  I had not decided what to have for tea. Indeed, for me was completely indecisive.  Usually it is on the go before he gets in.  However last night I just waited for inspiration to hit me and it did.

I spotted a bag of Macaroni lurking on my recently sorted out dresser.  Well that was a starter for one.  I then looked in the fridge and saw that I had a plethora of veggies.  I sorted out cauliflower, broccoli, kale and some old cheese that was best used up in a sauce,  and three rashers of bacon.Btza of this and that.

Boiled the pasta and instead of cooking the veggies in a separate pan I popped segregated tiny florets of broccoli and cauliflower and kale into the boiling water and cooked the veggies at the same time until ready.    I then drained the pasta and veg, and made a cheese sauce using the roux method adding in the old cheeses until it was nice and thick.  I like a good coating cheese sauce.

I then found a large dish and mixed the pasta into it.  I then fried some bacon until nice and crisp and added this cut into tiny segments to the mix yet again stirring it all up.  Then I finally added the cheese sauce and cooked for 40 minutes until it was just starting to colour on top.

I served it with a light salad and it went down very nicely and was quite tasty.  Pasta is one of those things OH is not supposed to have but he had a little and some other bits and bobs as well.  Needless to say we were stuffed afterwards.  Shall definitely make this again.

I used 250g of macaroni.  A handful of each veggie until it looked right by eye and there was a nice variation of ingredients.  I tend to be a chuck it all in the pot kind of person and then work things from there.  It works out for a cheap meal and is useful for using up ingredients and not wasting them.



Right had better get a wriggle on.  Things to do today.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts