Countdown to Christmas 2019 84 Days to Christmas - Making a Christmas Stocking and Recycling a Lace Mat or two



This year I have found an idea for a Christmas stocking which upcycles and uses a crochet lace mat to embellish it.  I love the simplicity and resourcefulness of this particular project and I think it looks very glam and very lady-like.


There was no tutorial per se but the image above but I did locate a free pdf for a Christmas stocking which can be used.

the link for that is here:


from arkathwyn.   

There are many others on Pinterest though.


Being as I have one or lace two mats in-house I thought that this might be a nice project to make to give to a friend - especially if I can find an old green velvet curtain.  I can then chop this up to make the body of the stocking and then embellish individually and stuff with little tiny presents or some preserves or some home made soaps or candles.  Would truly be a home produced pressie then which is kind of speaking to me quite loudly at the moment.   I think I might also have a green velvet curtain somewhere in the stash; as I have said before I tend to stock-pile bits and bobs.

Green velvet curtains found (there is a pair)so one or two people may be getting something similar as part of their Christmas pressies.

I might also make a table runner to go down the centre of the Christmas table as well, also utilising some of the lace mats.  Will see what I can come up with and if there is enough velvet fabric I might even make some under mats.

One thing I have done in previous years is had two long thin mirrors down the centre of the dining room table.  I have used both and then use the mirror to stand some of my candleholders on with pretty little Christmassy bits.  A lot of them are the silvered glass candle holders, which I have collected over several years.  The mirror reflects the lighted candles and makes it look all festive and sparkly.  I had originally found one mirror at the charity shop.  I thought I had seen something like it before but could not quite place where.  When we were emptying mum's bedroom I found my mirror's duplicate so I bought that home and now use both of them.  I also use Victorian pressed glass cake stands to display cakes and things like that, but if you stack them and a add a few tea lights and some greenery you end up with a different kind of decoration.  There is always something you can do.

I am meeting my friend again on Sunday.  I am working my first Saturday this weekend and am spending some quality time with her on Sunday.  I have spent today with OH.  On Sunday my friend and I are going to Stamford to St Martin's where they have the antique centre.  I always enjoy having a good look around there.

I did manage to do some stuff in the bedroom today.  However whilst sorting out a pine chest of drawers I have in the bedroom I pulled the drawer out and it would appear that the runners have broken.  Am when I get paid going to have to invest in a complete set of runners for that chest of drawers if I can find some.  Might have a look at B & Q.

Right had better get myself ready for work tomorrow.

Hopefully will catch up when I get in.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts