Fridge Clear Out - Oven Roasted Ratatouille

I have odds and ends again in the fridge and rather than do a stir fry this time round with the remaining veg which is usually a good standby for me, this time around as I have a few more tomatoes and courgettes than I had anticipated (and although I have no aubergine) I have decided to have a cheats version of Ratatouille.  After all I have the garlic, onion, courgettes, red and yellow peppers, large red tomatoes and small red tomatoes.

I use Delia's Oven-Roasted Ratatouille recipe which is as follows:

1lb cherry tomatoes skinned
2 medium courgettes
1 small aubergine
1 small red pepper de-seeded  and cut into 1 inch squares.
1 small yellow pepper deseeded and cut into 1 inch squares.
2 fat cloves of garlic peeled and chopped into 1 inch squares
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 handful of fresh basil leaves
Salt and freshly milled black pepper

Prepare the courgettes and aubergine ahead of time by cutting them into 1 inch dice leaving the skins on.  Sprinkle with One dessertspoon of salt then pack into a colander with a plate on top and a heavy weight on top of that.  Leave them for about an hour to drain any bitter juices.  Once drained squeeze out any juices that are left and dry the vegetables thoroughly in a clean tea towel.

Now arrange the tomatoes, aubergine, courgettes, peppers and onion in a roasting tin and sprinkle the garlic over them.  Roughly tear up the basil leaves and mix with the olive oil.  Drizzle the oil over the vegetables making sure that each type has a good coating and finally season with salt and pepper.  

Roast on  highest shelf of oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables and roasted and caramelised on the edges.  Remove from the oven using an oven glove or cloth and serve straight away.

I must just say that I am lucky in that the veg shop I use frequently has the Italian red peppers which are lush and courgettes available.  Aubergine is not always necessary and I just miss that out and add leek in the winter months.  They also have the ordinary peppers and often have these reduced.

During the winter months this also shakes the menu up a bit and this is something that I also serve with cold meat to make a meal out of virtually nothing.  There are lots of different options out there if you have a good look around.

On this occasion I have some delicatessen meats like Parma ham, salami, ham etc. to use up so this is literally making something out of nothing.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts