Sunday

Has been a lazy one here.  We did not get up too early as it is OH's only lay in of the week. 

We walked Missy down by the river, but the weather although sunny and bright was bitter outside and the wind was up a little again.  Last night it had calmed down to what it was yesterday.  Fortunately it is warm in the house. I had planned on cooking the lamb today and doing the Sunday dinner.  However OH fancied a full English Breakfast so that is what we have had and Sunday lunch has been put off until tomorrow. I was stuffed after such a big breakfast and could not manage another meal.  Breakfast consisted of a couple of large yolked eggs each, a couple of rashers of back bacon, tinned tomatoes and a field mushroom the size of a tea plate.  

I picked a couple of these up yesterday from Waitrose.  I like mushrooms but I have to be in the mood to eat them.  These ones spoke to me yesterday and reminded me of foraging sessions with my father.  When I first moved to Peterborough as a seven year old, the estate where we lived was surrounded by farmland which was used for grazing for the local Dairy, which was Horrells.  They used to deliver the milk by horse and cart.  As Dad used to walk us through this area we often used to come across the wild mushrooms which were delicious.  On talking to OH about this, this morning he also had similar memories of doing the same with his dad, whose nickname was "Barley" (his surname was Meadows).  It was a different time and a different place.  The Dairy has long been gone and the fields that we used to roam used to be edged with wild flowers such as primroses and violets.  There is no longer any trace of these as the farmland has been built on which in many respects is a shame as it was lovely countryside.

As a result we are now having Sunday lunch for Monday night's tea!  I am looking forward to it.

Tomorrow is another day and one where I am going to get stuck in on the kitchen to see if progress can be made.  However I do need to get some beetroot and also another tray of eggs to do some preserving later in the week.  The veg shop had both the other day.  I am intent on filling up those pantry shelves.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their evening.

Catch you soon.  

Pattypan xx

Comments

Popular Posts