Planning for Easter Part One

The lighter longer days are slowly entering and nature is starting to sprout blossom even in the face of all the unusual weather we have been having, although strictly speaking it is not quite spring yet.  As a result of this I have been thinking of Easter.

My head is not quite back into "blog mode" as my thoughts are still a little all over the place, but I am getting there and rather than not post anything I thought it might be an idea to put another post up about another one of my collections.  I am one of these people that can see things as they are, and what their full potential could be or indeed make something out of a lot of disassociated items.  

This year Easter Sunday falls on 12 April 2020.  It is some little way off, but as I am trying to sort things out in the house and as I have recently come across a lot of Easter items, I thought it might be nice to share some of the bits and bobs I have been collecting over the past few years.  The main collection consists of odd pieces of Easter decorative ware.  The primary focus for me is that I have always had an idea of having everyone for dinner and tea here at home.  Fingers crossed it will happen this year, but it depends on how well I get on with the house.  If it is not this year it will be next.  Most of the collection is housed in polythene boxes in any event and they are labelled up "Easter"!  I have been sorting things out as I go along.

When I was a child at home, Easter was more low key than it is today and more based on the traditions of the church, with Maunday Thursday where a select few of the public are chosen to receive Maunday coins, Good Friday where we would not eat meat.  White fish yes - but no meat and of course Hot Cross Buns/bread of some sort.  

On Easter Sunday we would receive our Easter Eggs.   Mum had a sideboard and the eggs would be displayed on the top.  One side of the sideboard was for my brother and the other half for me.  We were not allowed any of the chocolate eggs until after Easter dinner and then we were only allowed a little and then we shared.  Then there would be a full Easter tea, which usually consisted of boiled eggs and bread and butter soldiers, fruit and jelly and then some cake or cakes of some description or another.

I already have a china tea service of yellow primroses and I am after another set in the same pattern so that I have a full complement of 12 place settings.  I know the pattern but cannot remember the make  - it is one of the boxes I have yet to go through.

I was looking in John Lewis the other day and they have a few nice pieces as well currently which are not too expensive. Last year I bought a couple of nest table centres with eggs and butterflies in.  I also bought some pretty glass Easter baubles last year and I notice that they have these in again this year - different patterns though so I may add a few extra baubles.

I am after a couple of twig trees painted white for the tea table, and the plan is that the glass baubles and eggs will be hung from the branches of these.  I am currently on the look out for some suitable branches when we walk Missy, but thus far nothing has been found.  This will be the cheapest way of  obtaining these and then they will be given a clean, a base and then a paint job probably an aerosol paint.

I will go into town again soon for another mooch around to see what is about.  Tiger also had some nice bits in the other day as well.

TK Max also had some nice bunny cake stands in as well in plain white in graduated sizes which I quite liked the look of.

I already have a couple of large white porcelain cake stands which will be ideal to use. 

There are a couple of things that I would like to add to the tea table. Some Easter cross stitched cake bands and some felt chicken egg cosies and a couple of knitted tea pot covers.  Very twee, but if you are having a proper tea table it is worth going all out to achieve the desired effect.  I also have bunting to make.

I have a lovely Ercol pine tea trolley which I bought the year before last as well.  I love a proper vintage tea trolley especially when it is filled with all sorts of goodies.




To date my collection consists of the following:

A vintage Sylvac "bunny" vase ideal for some wild violets or primroses.  I would love to be able to get another one of these at some point to create a proper "vintage" tea table spread.  For the table as it is such a large table, I tend to balance things out and buy in twos.  I very much like 192s/1930s decorated vases.  My Nan had some lovely ones but they went to other members of the family.  However I loved this one when I saw it.  I always keep my eyes open for a nice vase or two.


One of several dresser pieces I have.  This one is a duck but put some "straw" or shredded yellow packing paper and then add chocolate eggs and you have an Easter centre-piece.  I also have various chicken crocks as well.



A boiled egg serving plate.  Ideal to serve up boiled eggs for Easter tea.  This one is in brown but I have another one which is yellow somewhere.



One of my chicken hutch egg holders.



Goose book ends.



A couple of hanging ceramic eggs


Cutwork and embroidered vintage centre piece.




Faux Easter Eggs.





Felt Easter Egg containers.



I have a couple of these.  I usually use them to put sauces in but for display purposes you can always add Easter trimmings and vamp it up a bit.


A vintage cutwork tablecloth


One of two cake covers can be utilised for just a sponge or buns.


My mum's Sylvac plant holders.  These have fond memories as I went with my Dad and brother to choose these as a present for my mum for one Mother's Day.  They have always looked lovely when filled with fresh flowers and were treasured by my Mum for many years.


One of my more modern vases.  Looks lovely filled with fresh spring flowers.  I have a thing about green vases.



One of the curiosities picked up from a charity shop


A couple of china cake platters.



Another pretty table centre.  I really love this one.

.
One of several cake stands I have.



I picked up some packs of tea towels a while back.  These are predominantly herbs but I loved the colourway.  They are due to be joined together to make a more modern tablecloth for my large pine dining table.  I have a couple of others of these to do as well.  One of the jobs I need my sewing area sorted for.






I also have six each of these egg cups.  The chequered green gingham is for the kitchen.



There are further items yet to be recovered from some of the boxes, but I thought I would share these for starters.

Do you celebrate Easter, and if so, do you have a family party or a get together or is it a low key affair.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. What an absolutely beautiful collection patty, I can just imagine how wonderful your table would look all ready for entertaining xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts