Saving the Orange/Lemon Peel

Do not waste any orange or lemon peel that comes your way there are several ways that you can use it up.   Mine are predominantly going to be needed for making home made cleaners in the first instance.  I want to get this household back on a more natural cleaning regime using items readily available rather than chemicals where I can.  I have also found that the citrus cleaner is ideal for my kitchen and a very good degreaser.

I initially am going to get my cleaning citrus vinegars on the go again.  For this purpose I need to set up somewhere a soaking area which is going to be well away from any winemaking or beer activities as I do not want any alcoholic beverages affected by vinegar fly.  So best to keep them separate.    The added bonus of making your own vinegar cleaners is that it uses up stuff that would otherwise end up in landfill and you can add to it as you go along.

I do no only use peels in cleaning products but I also dry the zest and keep it in a jar in the cupboard and just add a little to stews and beef meals as it gives a little more flavour.

One of the things I am going to do is freeze some of the peels and then make a batch of mixed peel for the pantry shelf as well.  There is always something you can do to make the most of something even if you do not have time to make it straight away.  I freeze chicken carcasses and then do sessions of making stock.  I am planning a big stock  making session shortly where I will use the canner to put up a load of valuable stock of different kinds.

Of course I also want to dry some fruits in the dehydrator for Christmas decorations and autumn decorations at some point as well.

I also want to freeze some whole orange and lemons with home made orange or lemon sorbet in them to bring out for when we have friends or family over as pudding.

There are a whole load of things you can do with the humble citrus peels just for a few minutes here and there.  You have already paid out for something so you might as well get your money out of it.

Here is a list of what you can do with the humble peel citrus peels and there are loads more ideas out there.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts