To Simply Be

It has been a quiet day here in Peterborough.

OH worked this morning and so I was on my own until he came home from our local bakery with a couple of their crispy buns filled with salad and lovely proper ham and a cream bun for me.  Naughty but very nice.

The rest of the afternoon has been spent pottering in the house. Not really doing very much but just enjoying the peace and quiet and just simply being.  The wind has now got up a little and is a little blustery, but it is warm in the house.

I have had toast and raspberry jam for tea.  OH has had Stilton on toast.  Nothing fancy but terribly nice all the same.  Both of us enjoyed our respective choices washed down with a cup of tea.

We then started reminiscing about family members who are no longer with us and the associations we have in respect of food.  A different way of life then but a lot of lovely memories.  Especially of toast cooked on the Rayburn dripping with butter and my granddad's honey.  We also used to toast crumpets in front of the fire and muffins as well.

As a result of that I started to remember some of the things that we used to eat as children and I intend to dig them out again.  I have my Mum's main recipe book which is well thumbed and as I spent a great deal of time with her in the kitchen I am pretty sure that I will find her recipes plus some of my Nan's in there.

I want to get back to a better status quo here and for a better quality of life in the longer term where we enjoy what we have and leave little impact in terms of waste etc.  I want to be involved in the making and doing without having to spend an absolute fortune for it.  My time at home has taught me a lot in this respect and that is a very valuable thing.  I want to find my peace.

I intend to do just that.

Hope you have all had a lovely day and that you are safe and warm.

Take care

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I think of all your posts, the ones where you reminisce about the past and your nan and mum and cooking are my absolute favourite. I go back and read some of them, they take me to a happy daydream place. I hope you post some of the recipes out of your mum's book I would enjoy reading about them. Much love fluffy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Fluffy, thank you so much. They were happy times and I was lucky along with my brother in that both of us had a happy childhood. Our parents were firm, strict but also fair. It was a different time, a better time in many respects where people were kinder to each other and there were no such things as "expectations" or as much "keeping up with the Jones'". Life was a lot simpler. Hope you and yours are keeping well xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts