Peter Sarstedt ~ Where Do You Go To My Lovely (with lyrics)




This was a favourite song of my Dad's he really related to the song, and the words.  He also loved France.  Did I tell you that after being  made redundant from a job, he and mum went on a trip to France on his BMW motorbike, for a holiday and he was convinced that he might be able to find work out there.  Perhaps that is a story for another time.

However, later on in life, Dad and I used to meet up one night per month and go for a drink at a local pub, the thatched pub in the village of  Marholm,  known as the Fitzwilliam Arms, where in the summer you had the freedom to sit in the beer garden or in the cool of the bar.  In the winter there was always a roaring fire awaiting.

Curiously enough, nearly every time we went into the pub over a number of years, this song used to be played.  I think perhaps the Landlord  liked it too.

On Saturday just gone, I heard this on the radio again, the first time in a long time, and naturally it reminded me of my dear Dad.

Do you have a piece of music that is memorable to you.   Would love to hear.

Catch you soon.


Pattypan


x

Comments

  1. Music is one of those things that can instantly take you back to a different time and place. The memories that a piece of music can bring is amazing. My mum loved Shirley Bassey singing the party's over. We had it at her funeral and although it makes cry it also brings memories of times gone by. Gone but never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ronnie, never dead when in our hearts. Always long lasting, and I speak often of my parents and grandparents to my grown up nephews like my forebears did with me. My Dad loved Shirley Bassey too. At my aunt's funeral my cousin had a humanist service and had Bat out of Hell played. (My aunt was rather keen on motorbikes). The rest of the family appreciated the inside joke, but my Great Aunt who was 97 years of age at the time thought it totally unsuitable and I think it shook her up a bit, poor sweetheart and she tried to take my cousin to task which did not go down well either. Sometimes families! My cousin had chosen a humanist service as although brought up as Catholics - my aunt was non-practicing as a result of the local priest who did not help my grandmother at her real time of need. A lot of the siblings drifted away from Catholicism as a result. (My Gran bought up 10 children in A two up two down house. How she did it I will never know, and in the poorest of circumstances. Due to circumstances that had nothing to do with her she ended up being a single parent to them all. Take care, music is a lovely thing, very calming and very healing. Lovely to hear from you. Take care Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts