Saturday night/Plans for Sunday

After a long absence I managed to get to the computer and prepare a couple of posts to cover the next few days.  This was on Saturday, a very quiet day as I felt washed out where my get up and go had left the building.  I must say it was nice to be tapping the keys again.

We had a lovely tea on Saturday.  We had a couple of double lamb chops with mint jelly, steamed carrots, peas, cauliflower, cauliflower leaf (did not want to waste it and it was delicious) and mashed potatoes. I cooked extra mashed potatoes as I have some mince in the fridge which I intend to turn into a Cottage pie for one night during the week.  The lamb went down very nicely and both of us were suitably stuffed afterwards. 

I had nipped out to the shop to get some fresh veg earlier on.  I just fancied fresh veg, to me lamb deserves fresh veg.  For about four weeks I have not been able to get any bread flour or yeast.  I keep looking but have not managed to find any.  However on Saturday I did find some yeast so I nabbed a packet of that. Fortunately I do still have some bread flour left but as my supplies are meagre at the moment if I spot anything I use, and have not been able to acquire easily I pick it up.

I have a lot of washing to do on Sunday - did not do much on Saturday as it had been wet and windy and a bit cold.  So am hoping it is better on Sunday so that I can get the washing out on the line.  It always smells so much fresher for a bit of a blow.

If the weather is good I may potter in the garden again.  The work there is never ending at the moment as there is so much to do.  

I have a lot of rubbish - not food waste which needs to go to the tip but that is closed at the moment.  I have therefore garden rubbish and old pots etc. bagged up and ready to dispose of.

I have planned for roast beef for dinner today served with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, carrots, spring cabbage, peas and cauliflower.

I also have a chicken remnant stew to pop into the slow cooker with a little veg as well as some chicken stock to make to make up some soup.

I also have a small gammon joint which will be ideal for cooking for meat for sarnies, as well as producing some more stock for soups.  Can serve the cold meat with chips and chutney or with pasta and sweetcorn.

If time permits this week I have a couple of gallons of wine to get on the go.  These are a couple of wine kits, both elderflower wine.  I am also hoping to get into the bottom of the garden as we have a huge lilac bush there and I quite like the sound of lilac wine.  Will see how it goes as it is not easy to get into the jungle.

So lots to do as usual.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I've started wine making again too - having given all my kit to the charity shop a couple of years ago when I wasn't able to drink alcohol at all. A costly exercise when unable to get to car boot sales or charity shops for cheap demijohns, brewing bucket etc. Ah well. I shan't make that mistake again.

    I have a Blackberry wine bubbling away (berries from my freezer) and we are going to make Gorse wine next, having spotted some bushes. (Our big bush in the top field has calving heifers in with it and don't know if they will be calf-proud so will leave that one). Tam has some beer on the go too. I hope your Elderflower kits turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BB, We used to regularly make wine but then fell out of the making of it. However, I never got rid of my winemaking equipment I hung on to it. I have also added to it in that I inherited all of my Nan's winemaking equipment, plus I have added a few Demijohn's from the Charity shop when I have been fortunate enough to find them. At £8 each for a Demijohn brand new from Wilkinson's I am glad I did. However, do look out in the Charity shops when Lockdown is over as I think you may find more of a bargain there. Blackberry wine sounds lush, must add that to my list for later in the year, although I suspect that a lot will go into jam, puddings etc. especially in light of the current issues with food. Winter is the wrong time of year to have such shortages at the best of times. Gorse wine, I had forgotten about. May get OH to take me when walking Missy off the beaten path (where there are no people) to see if can locate some. I have had to use the Elderflower kits up as they would have been out of date and I did not want to waste anything. Let us know how your wine and Tam's beer turn out. Beer is something I have not too much experience with. Take care and keep safe. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see your blog pop up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lefting am still here a bit sporadic at the moment but am doing my best, Hope you are keeping well and safe, take care xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts