Chestnuts Roasting over an Open Fire

is the well known phrase from the song The Christmas Song which we all associate with Christmas.  However to me it is an important reminder that yes it is about time that I had that seasonal fix of roasted chestnuts.  

My dear dad got me addicted to these as a child. When I was a little girl there used to be a regular trader at Christmas in Peterborough who used to have a brazier and sell roasted chestnuts.  My Dad informed me that when he was growing up there used to be a man with a Hurdy-Gurdy as well (he grew up in Lincoln). My brother and I had never tried them before and so he bought a bag and shared their precious contents with my brother and I. I remember the weather was bitter and we had gloves on and the Chestnuts warmed our hands and we loved them.  Mum was not keen. Dad got us hooked and ever since I have had to have a few roasted Chestnuts just before Christmas.  The other thing that I used to remember is that the Sally Army Band and Choir always used to be out in all weathers raising precious funds and keeping everyone entertained.

For Roasted Chestnuts traditionally, I need an open fire to do that. Unfortunately very sadly I do not have a real fire or an Aga or anything like that.  I would be in my element if I did. I already have an ornamental Chestnut Roasting pan in my brass collection. Just big enough to make a handful.  A while back I even had a proper Chestnut roasting pan, but that went by the bye. I had it over 20 years and it did sterling service. I wondered if you could get hold of them still and I was pleasantly surprised to find several such pans on Ebay, 

As I love cast iron pans, but they are far too heavy for me to lift, i am looking at a replacement pan something like this one:  It costs about £10


I bought a net of Chestnuts yesterday and hope to indulge in this little seasonal treat later on in the week.

To roast Chestnuts over an open fire either go for a cast iron pan or a perforated pan like the one above.  Take each Chestnut and with a sharp knife make a small incision at the tip of each nut and roast over a flame in the fire for about 15 minutes.

Alternatively if you have a Gas cooker hob place the pan on a medium flame and cook in the same way until done. Be careful though allow them to cool a little before starting to peel as they retain the heat but boy do they taste good.

Chestnuts can be used in other winter recipes too and used in home made Liqueurs, jams and sweets and puddings.

Do you like Chestnuts and if so how do you like to use them.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. As a child my gramdmother used to roast chestnuts on our open firw in the sitting room, I have done them in the top oven of my stove, split the top and roast them on 300 - 150 for about 10 minutes, check them frequwntly, they cook faster then you think. I am drooling, Edwin is not fond of them, but I think I will have to buy a net, peeled with a little bit of salt on, yum yum....delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts