Ground Almonds, Almonds, Marzipan, Stollen and Icing Sugar

Normally at this time of year the shop round the corner is full of fondant icing and marzipan (or Marchpane as it historically known). Marchpane is basically ground almonds, sugar and rose water.  For more information see the National Trust site for a recipe for this Marchpane 

The Marchpane was often decorated with gold, but there are lots of other lovely ways of decorating this sweetmeat.

Various Images of Marchpane

They are quite diverse and spectacular.

This yearmy local shop has had fondant icing in jus aboutt, but not much.  They also have ground almonds in but not a sight of any pre-prepared marzipan.  I think I am going to play safe.  I like to keep ground almonds in as we like Bakewell tart and also almond slices, macaroons that kind of thing as well as the German Christmas favourite Stollen.   

I think I shall be making sure that there is a good supply of ground almonds in the pantry to hand just in case I cannot locate the ready made Marzipan. I have two cakes to cover this year at the moment together with four Christmas puddings.  The cakes are currently being fed.

If you buy in blanched almonds, or almonds with their skins on you can turn this into ground almonds.  If the almonds still have their skins on then blanch them in boiling water to remove the skins.  If bought already blanched, just whizz the almonds up in your food processor.  So it might be worth keeping some whole nuts in as well.  I also use these in Dundee cake.

Here is a recipe as to how to make your own Marzipan just in case you cannot locate any.  It is quite easy to make.  I have given a recipe in previous years and the link is here:

Homemade Marzipan

There is also an alternative recipe here:

Marzipan Recipe

I have also been buying in icing sugar as this year I am making Royal Icing for the Christmas cakes.  Think my baby brother will be happy about this as he is an icing freak.  Basically Royal icing is egg whites, icing sugar and a little glycerine whisked up  and left to stand for a day or so o get rid of any air bubbles that can form when the icing is being whisked.  We always add about one teaspoon of glycerine to the mix as it helps keep the icing softer rather than being rock hard. We do not want any broken teeth; I have already lost one to a toffee apple earlier in the year!

So I am gradually drawing the threads together and getting bits and bobs sorted as to need/necessity.

This year though I want to have a go at making my own Stollen. We love Stollen and it is something that we usually buy, but i have always had an inclination of having a go at this.  Might have to play with that before Christmas and if I can get it right I might make one for my baby brother (if being the operative word).

I also keep icing sugar to hand for making buttercream for little individual buns and Victoria Sponge and also icing; so if you bake on a regular basis it is well worth keeping in.

When I go into town at the weekend I shall have a good look to see what else I can find.  I may have to buy some in, in readiness for decorating the cakes at the beginning of December.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts