Time to Order the Turkey

A lot of people order their main meal for Christmas Dinner in advance or utilise their local supermarket.  Time has now come for us to consider placing an order.

For the past few years excluding last year our main meal has been ordered via our Butcher.  Last year we had a Turkey Crown from Aldi for the first time and we were bitterly disappointed. Despite being slowly cooked the Turkey was as tough as old boots.  We shall therefore be ordering from our Butcher the main components that we need over Christmas. Our main Butcher at Johnsons of Old Hurst has this year instigated an online ordering service for Butchery items which is easily accessible online.  OH was doing some research of his own last night and we had been talking of going down to the Farm to place an order in any event.  I love going here as it is a Foodie Heaven.  Prices are a bit higher but the quality of the food speaks for itself. Their Cornish pasties are to die for.  They have a big Butchery section I buy Green Back bacon here it is lovely.  They also have an extensive choice on sausages.  They keep in Game and a lot of the animals and Deer are grown on the farm and other items sourced locally.  They also have an extensive and very interesting Cheese Counter.  We love cheese. Mind you I am picky and don't buy anything and everything. Mindful of the restrictions we have only ventured out here about once a month.

Johnsons of Old Hurst


These are farmers, who have diversified and opened their own shop, restaurant and tea shop.  They know the importance of good food.  They are open Tuesday to Sunday.  Monday they are closed.  There is a walk around the farm for the children and adults alike and they have an enclosed wildlife area which showcases Crocodiles and other exotic animals from abroad.

I freeze a lot of what I buy and we do not do unnecessary journeys but as we go to the fish man once a week, we are over half way there and we can occasionally fit in a visit to the Butchers, usually when it is quieter during the week. They are extremely thorough and only allow so many people in the shop at one time and there are extensive sanitising facilities outside of the shop. Things are starting to get low in the freezer and I need to top up again as well as order for Christmas.

We will therefore place an order this evening for our main ingredients which include Turkey, chipolatas, sausage meat, a rib of beef, bacon. I also need a Ham joint We have to go and collect in any event, so will add on some other items then.  They have a wonderful food section with a lot of Artisanal products.  They also have a lovely gift section and kitchen section in particular.

I also if I get time want to make my pork pies but I need the freezer to do these and that is not arriving until 2 December.  So the pies will be made after then. I also need to prep up some sausage rolls so that I can literally take them from the freezer straight to the cooker.

So from now on in it is going to be busy, organising this and organising that in readiness for Christmas.  

We also use Willowbrook Farm which is another good Butchers close to us and where I learned to make Pork Pies. Willowbrook Farm.

Tonight therefore I think we are going to be placing an order.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Heaven knows where we will be to eat Christmas lunch this year, but we know the butchers locally here of course and have marked out where the good butcher in Builth is. I will be starting the move-in with a completely empty freezer though, necessary for moving, so that bothers me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a great satisfaction knowing your freezer is full of good things and I too get a bit anxious if my stores are running low. When we moved to a smaller house I promised myself, not having so much space, that I wouldn't keep so much food in. But between Brexit and Covid the conservatory now has a large unit stacked with food. Be prepared, and all that.

    Although we don't usually eat meat we'll be having some local venison for Christmas dinner, and I daresay a crispy duck will get made at some point over the festive season as we both adore it. It is a lot of faff, soaking and hanging and drying and rubbing, but it tastes so different to the ready-prepared stuff you heat up in the oven. It's one of the few things I'm willing to spend a couple of days on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts