Making use of what I have ways to Stretch the Leftovers Pattypan's Kitchen Part One

Nothing is sacred when it comes to food.  It is the fuel we need to keep ourselves well and healthy.  I appreciate that I am a lot better off than most, but that does not stop me pinching when it comes to the pennies and especially with food.  Good food, and food generally is expensive and I think that is one of the reasons that people are generally returning to the ethos of growing their own, me amongst them.  This time honoured method for providing for oneself is not new, but a well aged system and a background which I was raised against.  My grandparents had no choice but to do it this way to provide the best food that they could for their family and extended family over the years.  Having lost that background when the family home was sold on the passing of my Nan, the family lost a way of life.  Sometimes it is only when you lose something do you really appreciate what you have actually lost.  A constant supply of fruit apples, plums, pears, cookers, Strawberries, Raspberries, all sorts of veggies, fresh eggs, broiler chickens (chickens that when they have come to the end of lay which were then used for meat), Nan's homemade wine and all her preserves.  I think perhaps it is too late for me to achieve this, but it does not mean that my quality of life should suffer on the food front there are other ways.  However in my family there is a motto "If it is not brock don't mend it".  In other words if something is working more than satisfactorily do not interfere and keep your mitts off.

Yesterday we had a substantial meal in that we had a large piece of pork which roasted up beautifully.  I prefer to buy a larger joint of meat where I can and get as many meals as I can out of it, whether that be chicken, lamb, beef or pork. Sometimes I just simply slice the extra meat and freeze it in home made extra gravy, sometimes I cook extra veggies and plate meals up which can be a godsend when you are in a hurry and need something hot and nourishing to eat.  I cooked extra veggies yesterday but instead of microwaving the extra meals out of the joint, I have used the veggies to make Bubble and Squeak patties/rissoles whatever you want to call them.  There was a good quantify of everything left or so I thought, but when I came to make them I realised I was a bit light on the veggies compared to the mashed potato and so opted to check the fridge to see if there was any veggies that needed using up that could be steamed and then used to pad the patties out and that is what I have done earlier in the day, and then fridged the food for use later on. I bought some cheap boxes to do this as I hate wasting food.  I am slowly getting back into "Pattypan's Kitchen" mode where I am aiming not to waste anything.

The Tubs were on offer at the Co-Op at £3 per set of four and can also be used in the freezer.  Putting leftovers in tubs also means it keeps the fridge clean as well.

Here are the tubs of mashed potato, the mix of veggies from yesterday and a tub of extra veggies.


The mixed veg from yesterday. This includes, carrots, shredded cabbage, peas and carrots.


The additional veg cooked this morning and then when cool fridged. More Carrot, Broccoli, more cabbage, Brussel Sprouts (to my mind you need Brussel Sprouts in Bubble and Squeak and it is worth freezing them just for this purpose alone.  However we are fans and eat them many ways, simply steamed, served with bacon, in Bubble and Squeak.  I also fried an onion until golden brown and added half of this as well.





The tub of mashed potato.  I added a little milk and some butter to this mixture.  The mixture needs to be fairly stiff to mould and form the patties.




Forking through the cooled mashed potato in a bowl to break it up before adding the mixed veg.



The mixed veg.



All the veggies mixed in with the mashed potato.  If the veggies are too whole, cut them down with a knife.





With the aid of a little flour on your hands then take handfuls of the mixture and mould it into rounds/ovals adding enough flour to the outside so that the potato does not stick.  Then pop in the fridge for half an our for them to chill so that they do not break up when it comes to frying them.



I managed to get 8 patties from this mixture and I used three for tea.  They were gently fried on a low heat in a little oil, turning every so often so that they achieve a nice golden colour.








We had loads of meat left over from yesterday and none of it is being wasted, including the veg peelings, and also the now extra leftover veggies. More ideas to follow on this.

Our meal as served this evening.  I used some of the gravy leftover from yesterday which I had boiled up and then used over the meat and the just cooked patties.  It went down a treat and was delicious.




I am quite enjoying the time to really cook properly and juggle several things in the process in a way that things run more seamlessly and link more easily.  A more honest and simpler way of life, which as I am getting older, I am being more and more drawn to.  As it were, I am going back to my roots.

Today has generally been a household kind of day.  It is Monday, I have been washing, and getting stuff dried as well.  Tomorrow it is back to sorting things out and tidying again.

Right upwards and onwards.

Catch you soon.


Pattypan


Comments

  1. I enjoyed seeing your mashed potatoes and veggie balls frying up. Haven't thought of doing that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth, this is something my mum used to do and often serve up with cold meat from the Sunday roast except she did not put gravy with it. I hope you get to make them and enjoy them. Take care Tricia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi pattypan, I keep 2 plastic boes in the freezer. One has all the little bits of cooked veg popped in every day ane the other has the potatoes, plain boiled, mashed or roasted. That way I can make bubbkle and squeak at the drop of a spatula. I usually give the patties a spray of oil and then oven cook them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts