Two More Books forthe serious Preserver

Despite the further lockdown I am determined to keep myself busy and make use of the time to look at those things I have been putting off for ages and which I am quite interested in having a go at.  In this respect, I have pulled out two more books from my stash, and which I have had for sometime.  These are both by Lindy Wildsmith.  I tend to buy books when I can afford them, I read them and then I put them down meaning to go back to them and actually do something with them, but these two slightly got away from me despite the fact that these books are absolutely superb.



The first is called simply "Cured" with recipes for curing fish, meat, vegetables and fruit.  ISBN 978 1 906417 41 3. Some recipes on how to pot different foods and keep in the fridge for serving with toast or salad.  

Potting for me is "a waste not want not" recipe and there are several useful recipes for extending the shelf life of left over food by potting it.  There are recipes for Potted Shrimps (I prefer the Brown shrimps), Potted Salmon, Potted Crabmeat, Potted Venison, Potted leftover Game, Ham, Meat, Poultry or fish.  This is especially useful for leftover meat from a joint.  Well worth the effort as once you have made them, you can store them in the fridge for a few days or alternatively freeze them.  Ideal as a starter for a celebration of any sort. and as you can freeze them, ideal to make for a Christmas party as well.  You could make so many at a time and freeze them. One of my absolute favourites is potted beef.

There are recipes for Chorizo sausage, Liverwurst, Sausages with Walnuts which are wrapped in Caul fat, which is a membrane that faggots are normally traditionally wrapped in..  There is a recipe for Pancetta the Italian way, 

There are recipes for smoking and there is a recipe for Cinnamon and orange smoked Duck which sounds intriguing. 

There is a recipe for dried cod "Baccalhau" and ways to use it. There are recipes for pickling fish such as pickled herring, Tuna, marinated Anchovies, pickled oysters. 

I am not a newbie to preserving in this manner, we have prepared Gravadlax and Bacon both Back and Streaky before.  I am not an expert though and I am learning as I go along and that is when I appreciate books like this the most as the instructions are very clear.  There are Recipes for Pastrami, Salt Beef, Hams, Black Pudding, Corned Beef, Jerky, Rillettes, Confit,  etc. I am definitely going to have a go at the Pastrami. 

I had hoped to have prepped the Gravadlax for this Christmas gone and OH wanted to do some more bacon, but due to other things going on we did not get round to this last Christmas, but this Christmas coming could be a very different thing.  I would quite like to have a go at the Black Pudding recipe which uses dried blook and although this book does not cover it have a go at making Salami as well.

There are also larder preserves such as Forager's jelly, and a variety of other pantry preserves such as pickles and fruits in syrup and liquor.  There is also a Raw section covering recipes such as Carpaccio and Tartare.  There are an awful lot of different recipes here.  Very different ones.





The second is called "Artisan Drinks" ISBN 978 1 909342 03 03. This book covers sections of

Has some fantastic recipes in. Includes sections on Cordials. syrups and soft drinks. Alcohol free sparkling drinks. Beer, cider and Perry Wine. Liqueurs, digestives and pick-me-ups. Punches, cups and party drinks. Cocktails and mocktails. Some very different recipes here which am itching to try. Including instructions where applicable for storing cordials etc. ling term on the pantry shelf. Am looking forward to playing.

There are where appropriate instructions on how to keep your Cordials etc. for longer on the pantry shelf.

Both are fantastic books with very different recipes to make yourself at home and eminently suitable for those that want to provide as much food for the table as they can.  

You can do this utilising what shops you have available to you even if you do not have any growing space or room to keep livestock, bees, chickens yourself.  It is foraging of a different sort where you use the shops as your harvest ground which can result in you obtaining quite a few bargains however you do not get quite as much variety or differences of fruit or vegetables as you would in growing your own per se.  Your prime focus when doing this though is "Ingredients" to turn into something very yummy.


Today has been cold and I have been busy in the kitchen.  OH had Toad in the Hole again mid-day and finished it up so no waste at all which I am completely happy with.

For tea this evening, we have had Gammon steaks.  Gammon can be very salty, and I always take the precaution of soaking the steaks in plain water for at least an hour to take away any excess salt.  I prefer to do them overnight and then add fresh water in the morning. 

We have tried regular sources of gammon steaks and different suppliers.  The results are extremely variable so I prefer to soak as I cannot cope with over-salty food. 

Gammon steaks in water


Once soaked, I always dry them off with kitchen paper. I then cut the fat/rind to the depth of the fat with a pair of kitchen scissors.

Kitchen towel dried steak



Steak cut with scissors to prevent curling up in the pan



Once the Gammon steak has caramelised a little (not burnt) it is ready to serve. Traditionally you fry the pineapple in the pan with the Gammon and also caramelise that.  However, we prefer the pineapple just drained (we tend to use tinned pineapple for ease but have used fresh in the past), and serve on the side as we find it is fresher on the taste buds.




You can of course serve with chips and an egg you do not have to use pineapple.

It went down very well.  It was a light meal compared to last night but tasty nonetheless.

My new coat has arrived the Marmot full coat and I am extremely pleased with this.  Previously when OH bought me my Marmot coats, he went for the style Montreal which is very warm. However this time round he has gone for Montreaux which is a thicker down.  It is lovely and warm, extremely light and extremely comfy to wear.

We have another busy day tomorrow.

Catch you soon.

Take care and keep safe.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Your meal looks yummy, glad you enjoyed it. You make me feel very lazy compared to all the things you do I am a complete "lay about". I have done my share, so I guess its OK for me to be a little slack in meal prep. Dont get me wrong we have excellent meals even if I say so myself.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia, Each to their own it does not mean you are lazy just that you have different priorities they change through the different stages and requirements. I just love cooking. Take care Tricia x

      Delete
  2. The preserving books look very interesting. I am a bit of a cookbook tourist and read a lot without actually making anything from them. I am trying to satisfy this habit by borrowing from the library but they have a rather limited stock on offer. I got 4 new cookbooks for Christmas, three vegan - including a beautifully designed Japanese vegan one - and one on making dumplings as I am a dim sum addict and there's nowhere within about 50 miles that serves freshly made dim sum. So I figured I'd have a go myself.

    I used to have Fanny and Johnny Craddock's wine making and preserving guide, which was very jolly and one by Sheila Hutchins, the Daily Express's very chatty resident chef from the 60s, both of which I read many many times. But the only things I've ever made are things damson and sloe gin and blackberry and raspberry vodka, plus something that didn't turn out right but was supposed to be an orange liqueur. It came out like fizzy bitters, most odd but worked instead of bitters in gin.

    However after three or four years of making these I realised that my efforts were far exceeding our drinking habits, and almost 10 years on I still have some sugar-free sloe gin, damson gin and vodka in the cupboard.

    I have never heard of Marmot coats before but I will look them up. I currently have a very warm padded coat but it is too big for me now, extremely puffy and feels rather like wearing an eiderdown. I could do with something a bit less all-encompassing for cold days. Try not to work too hard tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fifitr,

      I believe in touring the cookbooks as I know what I am looking for in a book for me to actually purchase these days and then I often buy second hand. I tend to go on Amazon and then make a wish list, then look elsewhere if necessary for the books. Have saved lots of money this way on. I do not always make lots of liqueurs every year sometimes the funds will not allow but I do try and do some new to me ones that mix it up a bit. Marmot coats are brilliant and my new one has arrived and is lovely and warm. We usually try and buy in the sales as they are expensive however well worth the money if they keep you warm. Take care Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts