The seeds I bought yesterday

 

Just sharing the seeds I bought yesterday for growing in my greenhouses from scratch to hopefully produce a productive garden for this year. To start with a bean I remember my grandparents' and my parents' used to grow in their gardens.  Scarlet Emperor.  I bought two packets of these as I have plans for some tubs as well.  Runner beans were one of the first things I was taught to grow at school.  We had to grow them in jam jars.  Nowadays children are often encouraged to grow sunflowers as a first plant.  I have plans to grow some of these as well.






Then we have Broad Bean Bunyard's Exhibition.  I need to get another packet of these.  I hated these as a kid, however I have developed a liking for them as I have grown older.  I think I like them now as when we were growing up they just used to be bunged into whatever was cooking and they were not taken out of their little sacs.  I don't like them with the sacs on but without they are delicious.







My Nan and my Mum and Dad also used to grow purple beans that go green when cooked.  I am not sure they are this variety but it does add a splash of colour to the garden.




I could not locate any yellow courgettes in the cheaper seed and as I have a particular fondness for yellow courgettes (they are lovely in a salad raw in the summer), I paid out to ensure that I have some at least.  I already have green courgette seed to hand.  I am looking to grow quite a few of these and freeze or dry them for cakes and for adding to stews, casseroles etc in powder form or frozen in slices under a nice piece of roast pork (they caramelize done this way like roast potatoes) and are really lush.



 I tried sowing this last year, got some shoots up as I set it in a planter and it was ravaged  by the local wildlife.  Must remember to put a cover over it to protect it a little to start with.  Will also make a useful addition to the green powder jar as will lettuce which I intend to grow quite a bit of this year.  Since dragging the dehydrator out to use I have been seeing the potential in an awful lot of items I would not necessarily have considered growing or indeed using.





Last year when it came to buying cucumber seeds I did leave it a bit late and was not able to get a smoother coated cucumber so when I saw this one I snapped at it.




Purple Sprouting Broccoli.  An absolute favourite and one I have not grown before so this will be a learning curve.  Am seeing the potential for all sorts with this luscious vegetable and will freeze a lot, hopefully have a load fresh and dry it.





Roma Tomatoes.  I grew these for the first time last year and I only had a couple of plants.  I intend to predominantly grow these for preserving/canning this year with other varieties for fresh eating and also turning into different kinds of preserves.  We use a lot of tomatoes in general cooking and I have some interesting new recipes I want to have a play with.  Also considering canning tomato sauce for home made Bloody Marys'.





Pea  (an early variety called Douce Provence.  I intend to get some more of these as well.  Not grown these before.



Another Spinach this time called America.  Will see how we get on with this one as well.






This was the only chilli pepper I could lay my hands on yesterday.  There were gaps on the racks so will look again later in the week when I go back to pick a few more seeds.






Tomato Red Cherry.  These when they are growing in the garden are the original fresh snack.  OH loves this, just going to be able to go scrumping for a quick snack.  Which is one of the reasons I want to grow more of these this year.






Venlo pickling gherkins for himself.





Moneymaker Tomato, one that we have planted for years and have found to be a really good workhorse when it comes to Tomatoes.





And finally, Nasturtiums.  A good companion plant that always look cheerful in a garden.  I nearly always have them in planters or hanging baskets.  The bonus is the leaves and flowers can be used in cooking and especially in salads.


Yesterday I just sort of nabbed the seeds I knew I would need, although there are still a few more to get.  When I go again will probably get a few more but I also need potatoes, onions, strawberry plants, Asparagus and some Horseradish and garlic if I can obtain it.  Might even add a few more Rhubarb crowns as well.  I want to be earlier with doing things in the garden this year than I was last year.  Hopefully will be able to get in the garden soon and make a concerted effort in getting the greenhouses sorted and also the garden.  There is a lot to do.

I also need to get in some compost as I do not have any and that is urgently needed if I am going to be sowing seeds.

Right must get on.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I've always grown Scarlet Emperor and generally save my own seed, as I did last year. Tam has just nabbed a spot at Real Seeds (a Pembrokeshire Company we use regularly). We know their tried and tested seeds (some more unusual things) grow in Wales! There is no fruit here - either trees or soft fruit - so that is about to be remedied. Enjoy your garden. Wilko's should have the garlic if you pop around a corner of the display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Nan and Pop and my Mum and Dad always grew Scarlet Emperor mind you they had bigger gardens than I do. I may just have to make do with some tubs. Will see how it goes. Will have a look at Real Seeds as well. What fruit trees are you after. I suspect a couple of apples, maybe a plum and a pear. Found some garlic. Keep well and keep safe xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the memory. I remember growing runners in a jam jar, had forgotten that.
    I cannot grow a garden in the area where I living, so many deer, we have issues just grown a couple of pots of cherry tomatoes.
    Good luck on your growing season this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia, I think we all did this in the sixties (when I was at infant and junior school). Think it was the standard way of teaching as at least you could see what was happening with the bean. To this day I still dampen beans and also sweet peas to get them started. Sorry that you are unable to grow where you are but it sounds as though you do have lovely wildlife around you (albeit a pest at times). How about a covered area. Take care Tricia

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts