Good Friday 2021

We should have gone to the tip - we did not make it we both overslept.

We have decided to go tomorrow instead very early so as to miss the queues.

Breakfast this morning was delightfully simple.  A couple of Hot Cross Buns each and a mug of tea.  Went down very nicely.

Mum used to serve these just warmed from the oven and then slathered in butter.  We choose to toast them and then slather them in butter; I think the toasting adds a little more flavour.

Hot Cross Buns, Hot Cross Buns,

One a penny, two a penny, Hot Cross Buns.

Give them to your daughter's give them to your son's

One a penny, two a penny, Hot Cross Buns.


The traditional rhyme we grew up with and Hot Cross Buns an integral part of the Easter Celebrations.

Here are some photos of our breakfast!






Also traditional for today is no meat.  Tonight we had a nice chunky Cod loin for tea (half of one and it was very deep and the flakes of fish were nice and large.  There were one or two bones but not tiny ones and they were easily removed.  Served simply fried in some seasoned flour and fried in a little oil with butter added half way through the cooking.  It was then served simply with some bread and butter.  It was delicious.  I tend to fry my fish a lot of the time in flour as OH is not keen on batter.  I have my Nan's recipe for batter which is also very good but he is not really keen on any batter preferring it naked or just lightly fried in flour.


The floured fish in the pan.  A half of a Cod Loin split into two.


This was quite a chunky fish in depth, which took a bit of cooking.





I added in some butter to add to the flavour and to make sure that the fish was not dry in any way.




The fish was cooked gently and even though not cooked all the way through started to fall to pieces.  I  have found in practice that often happens especially when the fish is a lot thicker in depth.  Although it spoils the aesthetics, it tastes wonderful.

All ready to serve on its platter.



I was originally going to serve this with some boiled potatoes and also some peas and home made Parsley sauce, but OH just fancied it nice and simpler without the veg and the sauce.  It still made very good eating.

No embroidery for me tonight I am having the evening off and will do some again tomorrow night.  I have some stuff to catch up on and some things to plan for during the week.

So tomorrow it is an early start with a trip to the Tip.  We are not off to the fish man tomorrow.  We may go to the Bakery for buns.  I do need to get the veggies sorted out tomorrow though.

We have a Leg of Lamb which will be stuffed with garlic and Rosemary for Easter Sunday lunch.  On Monday we have the Turkey roast joint to cook with left overs in between to sort out.  

Although it will not be possible over the next few days and certainly whilst we have cold weather but I want to get out and about and get hold of some wild garlic for various preserves.  I also want some nettles for pesto.  The wild larder is just as tasty as the cultivated one and if you have access to it, then should certainly be taken advantage of where possible.  Sometimes it is the variety of different preserves on your pantry shelf that make all the difference, and help pep up or give a different taste experience to your cooking.

Tomorrow I need to go to my nearest Waitrose to top up on some fresh herbs for different meals over the weekend and also dry some various different ones for my pantry shelf in the dehydrator.  I also need more fresh garlic.

I have also bought a bunch of Carnations for myself in lovely pinks.  I was looking for some Daffodils or Narcissus as well, but no luck on that score.  The Carnations I have an ulterior motif for as I can make some plants for nothing out of these.  The flower petals can also be dried and used in cooking, crafting and soap making/bath bombs.  I also have my eye on some more Pink plants.  I don't know for sure but I suspect the ones I had on the go last year did not quite make it.

I am hoping to do a little baking for tomorrow.  I have some of the mini-Easter egg treats and some of the Malteser bunnies to play around with.  I also need to look out tomorrow for some blueberries for blueberry muffins.  I can see I am going to have to make a list as I also need to get my gardening magazines tomorrow..

It has been very cold today, so I may make some soup and also a stew for tomorrow to try and keep the cold at bay.

Right am off to get on.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts