Very Busy Saturday

It has been a bitterly cold day here today and both of us have been well wrapped up; I have had a thin long sleeved top on, then a fleece top, topped up with a thick hoodie and then my everyday quilted coat.  I was grateful for the layers; very grateful.   

Yay major result we made it up early and by 8:20am were outside loading up the car in readiness for the first trip to go to the local tip.  Even though we were early to the site, there was still a substantial queue before we could access the tip.  We eventually managed to get into the bay we needed to and unloaded and then came back for the second trip.  Both times the car was full.  We are going again on Monday as we have more rubbish to get rid of.  However we are gratified to have made huge inroads into getting rid of the front garden rubbish.  No doubt there will be further trips in the week but it all needs doing and sorting.

After finishing at the tip for today, we then went onto the butcher as there were one or two bits that were still needed.  This time instead of me going in I sent his lordship in and he chose what he wanted rather than leaving it for me to decide and to choose.  He came back with Pork Pie and Chicken and Ham pie, plus Venison sausages, ordinary Gloucester Old Spot Sausages, bacon, some bread buns and some cheese and sausage meat for stuffing for the Turkey.

I was very grateful to get in, get something to eat (chunks of pork pie with tomato ketchup on and a couple of buns).  Went down very nicely with a nice mug of hot tea.

Missy had been with us on our trips to the tip.  Too much going on for her.  She came home knackered and went straight to bed for some shut eye.



I nipped to the shop to get some Easter eggs for the older grand kid and the two littlies.

As OH had also picked up ham and a pie each for the kids.  We then went out to deliver to both of them.

We had been in a bit of a quandary about holidays generally.  We have the touring van to escape in, but are very aware that the grand kids need to escape every so often from town and to get out and about and do things that they would not normally do.  Both are as bright as buttons, but have not had any real experience of outdoor life as such which they need to experience as it can help build confidence and stimulate them to try new and different things.  They are to my liking a little bit too much computer reliant which in one sense is not bad as they are used to technology but it is the practical problems it causes like grandson throwing a wobbly if he does not have access to a computer!  

Daughter realised two years ago that holidays do indeed stretch them but her financial situation was such that she could not do anything about it.  The first year her brother took her away with the kiddies and they had a ball.  Last year we took them away, but we want them to experience what family is about as well. Both the grands loved it out with us even though it was the beginning of the problems with the lockdowns and we could not take them to some of the places that we had hoped to. Both our older kids remember the holidays we had with them as youngsters, the scrapes we got into and the large amount of fun that we had overall and daughter wants the kids to experience this too. 

OH and I had been considering buying an awning for the caravan.  Neither of us were too keen on a full awning especially as we have a roll out awning/verandah/sun shade that is fully fitted on the van.  If we had a full awning then this would have to come off which kind of defeats the purpose a bit.

We therefore earlier in the week had a look at a full tent ( a blow up one) and whilst with daughter today we discussed this with her as a means of being able to take the children on a family holiday with us but they would have their own sleeping accommodation and retirement space although most of the cooking would be done in the van (whether by myself or whether she wanted to roll up her sleeves and have a go).  In principle she was not averse to this.  

When I mentioned about it being a blow up one on the grounds of that it would save a lot of inhouse fighting when it came to putting up the tent (OH used to get particularly stressy when looking for and putting up the tent poles), she laughed and also remembered the incident when we were on our way down to Cornwall.  I was navigating and lost Swindon (Something to do with the fact that it was marked faintly on the map not where it should have been) and OH ended up going the wrong way which of course was all my fault.  That little incident has been a standing joke within the family ever since.  

So after leaving hers, we then went and bought the tent.  It will be kept with our van, but if she wants to go off with the kids for a week here or there it is not going to cost her an arm and a leg to take them somewhere.  Equally they could come with us, the son and wife could come with us or we could use it.    We got it at a bit of a bargain and it will serve a need I think.  We will get the other bits a bit later on but the offer on the tent we could not refuse to ignore and not act on.  We cannot continually pay out for holidays for them, and this will at least go some way to ensuring that they do get some away time and at least have the capacity to go somewhere new. It therefore at this time covers several possible scenarios and gives other options.

After coming home I then watched the Agatha Christie movie Death on the Nile with Peter Ustinov, David Niven, Bette Davies, Maggie Smith, Mia Farrow, Edward Fox etc. I love an Agatha Christie plot.  There was another one on later which I had not seen but OH wanted his turn at the TV.

So I cleared off to Waitrose to get some veggies.  They had sold out at my usual shop, and as we have some lovely potential meals on the card encompassing, Leg of Lamb, Rolled Turkey Breast and a Sirloin Roasting joint amongst many other things I needed the veggies.  I was gone about an hour and a half and came back with a trolley full of bits and bobs.

I have bought some frozen veggies as well, as it worked out cheaper to buy these than some of the items fresh, but as we have quite a few meals planned it will soon get used up.  Those that are not used up can go into a Quiche or two. I have also bought a couple of packs of forced rhubarb.  Expensive, but am going to make a Rhubarb crumble for OH and make some Rhubarb cordial.

I also managed to pick up my gardening magazines which I am pleased about.

I have bought some more herbs to dry; chives and flat leafed parsley.  My herb jars have gone down a bit and I intend to have them fully stocked by autumn of this year. I will also make my own bouquet-garni again soon.  I notice that some of my chives I grew last year have managed to survive so I am hoping that they will throw up flowers this year so that I can make some chive vinegar.

On the way to the Butcher's this morning I was looking out for wild garlic.  I think I have spotted some in the hedgerow and will get OH to take me back for a look.  These are also wanted for the pantry shelf in the form of wild garlic pesto, and dried ramsons in leaf and powder form.

We have had fillet steak sandwiches with fried onions for tea this evening.  They have gone down very nicely.  I did not manage to get to my embroidery again tonight but tomorrow I will.

Right am absolutely shattered.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts