Preserving and a little Jaunt

 OH was supposed to go fishing yesterday but he changed his mind and stayed in bed.  

Meanwhile I had planned to do some preserving in view of the fact that His Highness was fishing. So I was up early at 7am. We had found out earlier in the week about a Farmer's Market which is held in Oundle once a month and we had considered going but then he was invited to fish and as he hasn't been for a while I told him to go.  As I was already stuck into the preserving by the time he had decided not to go I then asked in the circumstances if he would take me to the market.

We had a lovely time here.  A small very friendly market and quite a variety of food traders.  We came back with some goodies.  Photos below (to follow download of photos taking ages as usual).

We bought four Lamb Samosas which were rather tasty.



Two large Onion Bhajees which I am fond of.



A large Pork Pie.



A Chicken and Mushroom Pie.



A Beef and Stilton Pie



A Venison Pie.



We also bought cheese Little She, Baron Bigod, Stitchelton and Colton Bassett Stilton.  We have had the Stitchelton and it is  gorgeous.



So all in all a nice little jaunt out.

On the preserving front I have started off the Pickled Cucumber,  Pickled Cabbage. They will be finished off on Sunday as both have to brine in salt overnight.

Since coming back I have started work on the Pickled Peppers. Never done these before so it is an experiment really to see if we like them. I have also made Pickled Eggs.

I am in the pros of peeling the Pickling Onions.

I have Pear and Apple Butter to make in the slow cookers but that will either be done later in the day or on Monday.

Apples are to be turned into Apple slices in the Dehydrator.  They will be sliced using the Mandolin later today and then left in the dehydrator until dry.  Hopefully I will not catch my hand like I did with the cucumbers.

Oranges to be turned into Pickled Orange slices.  Yet again the process has been started and these will be finished off tomorrow.

Chilli jam and Chilli jelly.  I have the chillies all ready, the vinegar and some peppers.  That will probably either be started on Sunday or Monday.  Depends how things go with everything else.  I also have some roasted red peppers to preserve in a similar fashion.  Need OH to look at the food processor though.  If it cannot be fixed that will be a big loss. Mine is a Magimix and it is extremely useful.  If I can get it going at minimal cost I would rather that as they cost over £500 new (well the one I was looking at which is a like for like version).  Ouch.

I have the remnants of a net of onions which are going to be turned into onion thyme chutney and I may have to go and get another net tomorrow as I have lots of oniony things to make.  I use a lot of onions and garlic in any event.

All the ingredients for the Ratatouille Chutney are now to hand and so that will be made on Sunday.

I think the preserving will carry on until Monday as I have quite a bit more to do yet.  Another early start in the morning.

Right upwards and onwards.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts