A Bit of Baking for the Tins (Tuesday) - Coconut Cheesecakes/Tarts




I have had the oven on this evening to cook the Sourdough bread.  



Halfway through cooking tea - steak and chips, I Suddenly decided that I was going to make some cheese scones for OH and some richly fruited scones for myself.  Tea was then slightly delayed until all were cooked. I had only got as far as frying the onions in any event.

In any event it has been a while since I made any scones and I was craving them, just for a bit of supper later in the evening, could be served with a bit of cheese and an apple or grapes.  I was extremely pleased with the way that they came up as the photos below will show.








After they were made I set too and prepared and made the richly fruited Scones; I used Raisins and Sultanas.  I made a double batch of each set of scones.  These have also come up fairly nicely.







Later on, and whilst I was getting the oven ready for cooking the sourdough I remembered that I had some pastry in the fridge that needed using up.  So out that came, as did a jar of Jumbleberry jam from my Pantry - I would have preferred Raspberry but this was the nearest.   I then set too and made some what our family call Coconut Cheesecakes/Tarts.  These are a well loved family favourite that my Nan and my Mum used to make.  They are very delicious.







with a dimpled pattern in the base and is one of two I have. Ideal for these tarts of mince pies or jam tarts.

Basically, you take a quantity of pastry and cut out circles the size of the tart tin you are using.  Then press them in.  I add in about 1/2 a teaspoon of jam to the base of each tart if a deep tin. You do not want the jam to leak out of the pastry shell at all so if the tart pan is not deep, adjust accordingly.  Then in a separate bowl, I then mix approximately 2oz of margarine, 2 oz of sugar which are creamed together with a fork; one egg is then added and mixed in.  Then 2oz Desiccated coconut added until the mixture is nice and stiff.  This is then with the aid of a fork layered on top of the jam with the use of a fork to make sure there is a nice seal around each tartlet case.  They are then cooked at Gas mark 4, for 20 to 25 minutes until the tarts are golden brown.  Leave for a few minutes to cool then ease all the way around each tartlet tin to release the tarts (sometimes they stick or overrun the tart edge - the coconut mix and as long as it is not the jam these will be all well and good.  They are delicate though so be careful).  Leave until cool, and then pack in a tin to store.

I would just add that I have made these for years by just adding the ingredients by eye and mixing together in a small bowl; the measurements are approximate, and if you wish to add a little more then do so.  I ended up making a double batch as I like a nice generous topping.



These too have come out well even though it is ages since I have made these as well. Unfortunately OH is restricted from these.  How much jam is popped in depends on the depth of the tart tin.  My tin is an old one that I have kept over 30 years and is one of two.  They are deep with a with a dimpled pattern in the base and this is one of two I have. Ideal for these tarts of mince pies or jam tarts.

All the baking has now been packed into "The tins" to be stored in the Pantry.  I have a selection of cream enamel storage-ware that I use for this purpose including a bread bin.




The Sourdough bread has been a very strong learning curve.  Not quite what was anticipated, and at least have produced something, but a learning curve all the same.  One of the loaves collapsed after being tipped out of the Banneton. I am wondering whether I left it too long to prove i.e. overnight and then part of the day (I had left it a little longer as it had not really doubled in size but that may be down to a cold kitchen), The other I had popped into a loaf tin, and I have a loaf, it is chewy and not too bad not what it should be.  So it looks as though it is back to the drawing board on this.  Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to get to grips with things. Time for an autopsy me thinks.










One thing I have decided to do though is to make some bread cloths for when the bread is proving on the counter.  These will be needed for ordinary bread making in any event.

Catch you soon.


Pattypan




Comments

  1. The scones look amazing especially the cheese ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Despite the fact that I have never made cheese scones before they have not turned out too bad. I only used a medium cheese, really could do with using a stronger one such as a vintage, but then again I like strong cheese. Thank you for y our kind words. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to bake for at least another month! Everything looks simply delicious. I think if we could bottle all of your amazing energy we would be rich. All that baking and then you finished making tea. WoW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa, I grew up in a household where this was the norm. Sunday morning started with the roast being popped into the oven and then the baking would begin. I had to assist mum in the kitchen, and we always had cakes and buns for pack up during the week, Sunday dinner and then a full Sunday tea, every week. Boy could my Mum cook, I am a mere shadow of what she was. Especially her pastry. I do not do as much baking as I would like to, as it just would not be eaten with OH being diabetic. However realistically, I will not waste anything either. If there are any scones left after a couple of days I may well turn them into a Beef Cobbler so as not to waste them. Although I believe OH may have them with some Ham and Chutney before then as well. Take care and thank you for your kind words. Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts