#everybitcountschallenge Day 20, 20 August 2022 Starting the Sourdough Bread Part One

Not strictly a preserving item, but on a learning curve it would be nice to be able to produce a loaf or loaves of bread for my kitchen table.  It is also in many households a food staple that can be turned into many an item.

After feeding my starter for over a week, I decided that I would turn the Sourdough Starter into bread today.  I had intended to use my Stand mixer to knead the bread.  Why is nothing ever straightforward?  Turns out that my stand mixer has packed up period. Oh I do wish I had my Kenwood Chef mixer back.  I had her 40+ years and never a problem until about 2 years ago and the machine seized.  However that machine was an absolute workhorse that I loved using especially for making cakes and meringues. Naughty but nice.  I have never been able to afford one since, and was given a cheaper replacement, and it is that one that has passed to the blue yonder today. I was never really happy with it, but grateful that I at least had a machine to use. Here is a link to the types of machines that are available at the moment they look super. Kenwood Chef  They are big machines but absolutely worth it having used their predecessors.  This is not an advert just my considered opinion.

I have arthritis which makes kneading bread a little difficult for me by hand.  However, I have set too and had a go.  I have used Sourdough Bread recipe from the Farmhouse on Boone Blog.

Instructions said that the dough needs to be kneaded for some 15 minutes.  I am slow and not as quick as many because of my hands so I took a little longer. The dough certainly feels a lot better this time round (the previous batch I had a go at seemed too soft) but this felt firm so I hope have followed this correctly. Lets say I did a bit of huffing and puffing, and had not realised how warm kneading bread would make me.  Perhaps it is the daily workout I need to keep me fit!  

It took some bringing together initially and so I added a little more water and that seemed to do the trick.  I know that flours vary quite a bit some need more moisture than others.  I am using Shipton Mill Canadian Bread Flour which I bought in bulk.  Link is here Shipton Mill.

The first photo is after I managed to get it all drawn in together.



The following photos are after a bit more kneading:



After the bowl has been oiled and the dough rolled around in it.




It has now grown a little.




It is now resting in the bowl for the first rise which will happen overnight before the dough is split into two loaves, left to rise again and then baked.  

At the end of the day it is a learning curve and I had promised myself that I would show whether the bread was a success or just a severe learning curve.  Will see what happens. Fingers crossed and toes plaited.  Whatever happens, after the last learning curve, I have been prepared to have another go.  I am going to do this no matter what!

Well the Blackberry/Bramble Jelly was made yesterday, so hopefully will have bread and jam to eat sometime tomorrow. 




Simple things that taste so good and which many years ago were the staple of many a household, especially to give to a hungry child.

I shall update how things go again tomorrow.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts