The C Word and starting to gather for food and decorations

The Co-Op have some of their Christmas stuff in situ already and on surfing the Internet this afternoon I see that many of the larger stores have Christmas stuff if not in store definitely on the web.

I do not intend to buy Christmas decorations this year unless there is something special and at the right price.  However, that is very unlikely at the moment although I do have my eyes on a couple of sets of candle lights for the Christmas tree. These are individual and battery operated by remote control and look more "traditional" and in keeping with the olde world look I tend to go for with regards to decorations.  I do like homemade decorations or items, as in every stitch you make, you are putting some of yourself into every item made and hopefully end up with a very individual repertoire of Christmas items to use for decorating.

This year on the decorating front, I intend to use as much of what I have in the house or what I can find in nature and make something either with it or of it.

I intend to have the dressers "dressed by the beginning of the month - well a little bit, or at least the start off that is if I can locate my autumn leaves and pumpkin lights. The autumn leaves are really the start of the decorating and then will take it from there go to green garlands for Yule Solstice and then Christmas.

Today when we walked Missy, I headed for the Larch trees to see what cones were available.  There were less than there are usually and when I looked closely at the trees there have not been as many cones set as usual.  Saying that there are still a few green ones to come.  There are a few more trees to check in a different location, but the ones I have been to gather from today are the ones I tend to use most.






Some of the stems above will be used in homemade ornaments or indeed some are destined for a vase (with the cones on).  The rest will be used in other crafting. I have plans to make a graduated Christmas tree twig wall decoration.  I still need more twigs to achieve this.  I also have Cinnamon sticks. One of the shops I do use for cheaper decorating materials is Tiger Tiger.  They have in the past sold the longer sticks of Cinnamon which would also be ideal for doing this type of decoration as well.

All the cones I find are usually on the floor whether that be in sprays or single cones.  I do not take them off the tree there is no need to.  I have also collected a few twigs, a small log that can be used in an arrangement, sprays of twigs with cones on them, and odd twigs that can be used in Christmas decorations. I am choosing to gather what I can now whilst it is dry (or as much as I can) in order that everything is sorted out and ready to go when it comes to decorating. Trying to be time efficient wherever possible.

Part of that process is going through the items found and sorting them into type.  I have sorted single cones by removing pieces of stem or debris and placing them in a basket to start with to dry in the house.  These will be used in Christmas decorations and also to decorate the top of homemade firelighters.



Those on stems have been sorted into another basket, with their stems still intact.  They have had any rubbish removed from them like dried grass or plant material (they were on the floor after all).  After about ten days the items will be popped into a box (still sorted out) in order that they can be popped up out of the way.




I now need to locate some proper fir cones; I have a brass Coal Scuttle/Bucket that I add them into even though we do not have a fire.  I also use them in Christmas decorations, year in year out.

Where I go when I forage, has a wild area where I can obtain Teasel heads and sometimes Poppy seed heads and Acorns.  When I disappear there in the next few days will probably end up taking my trolley with me to bring all the bits and bobs back in.  One major job that is on the list though is getting hold of Rosehips.  These I deseed, dry, and grind into a powder for mixing in with homemade Muesli/Granola.  Gives a vitamin C boost but they are fiddly and time consuming to prepare.  I also want some for making Rosehip wine to make from fresh berries, I also need to dry some to make more Rosehip wine during the early months of next year.  This is a family tradition when it comes to winemaking.  Always put up a few to do this so that you get an early start on the winemaking in the quieter months.  I am hoping to get back into full swing of regular winemaking for next year.  In the next few days, a couple of batches of ginger wine are going to be started. I intend to where I can make a double amount of each wine, whilst I am going to the trouble of making it, and to ensure that I have a ready supply of wine eventually.  So will be some for drinking occasionally and some for keeping. This ginger wine should be ready for drinking for next year.  It is a John Wright of River Cottage fame recipe.  The link is here:

Ginger Wine


Therefore, some small progress, something else off the list but still no end to do.

A lot of people go shopping first off, when it comes to Christmas.  I do not.  I start with the food. One of our family traditions both on the paternal and maternal side is that once all the Christmas food is cooked and ready, including the roast, the Chef then if she wants gets to rest too.  This is one of the reasons why so many pickles, chutneys, relishes etc are made.  We have cold cuts after Christmas dinner, usually starting with Christmas tea, where everyone helps themselves.  Oh and the washing up is done by those that do not cook! 

I am intent in the next few days to go on a forage for Rose Hips, Haws, Rowan berries, Crab apples and Sloes.  When it comes to Christmas cooking per se, I normally start off with the Christmas cake and the Christmas pudding.  Once they are secured out of the way I can concentrate on lots of other items that will need to be made. The Cake and the Puddings are on the list as a priority! Then they can be popped out of the way in the Pantry well wrapped in foil (has to be cool). The cake will need feeding with a little Brandy or Whisky or whatever you choose) for a little while.  It does not need over-feeding though as it will spoil the cake.

Remember the more you get done and well out of the way with before the end of November, means that you will get more time to play and take part in things in the run up to Christmas.  That is important too especially if there are littlies about.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts