A little tired

Sorry for not posting yesterday I was a little bit cream crackered; we have new neighbours and they do not seem to understand quiet.  Their voices are coming through the walls and when they speak to each other they yell.  Music has been going on until quite late as have family gatherings.

I do not often get cross, but I have been with them.  I bought a new washing line the other week and went out into the garden the other day to find that they had nicked part of it.  They had also nicked my patio chairs.  The fence is down between us despite it having been reported to the Landlord.  I therefore read the riot act to them, (it takes a lot for me to lose my cool, and it upsets me to do so) since which they seem to be steering clear of me. To make matters worse there is very little English, with only one of the elder ladies speaking English.

To make matters worse there are 3 to 4 children in the house, the children are up all hours as well and the eldest girl (no more than 8) each time she sees me or anyone else is holding her hand out begging.  

The other evening, we also had a visit from the Police which was quite disconcerting.  It would appear that two separate people had given our address as theirs (the Police were checking up).  I do not think that the guilty parties have done themselves any favours.

It has therefore been an interesting week for all the wrong reasons.  This used to be a reasonably nice neighbourhood!

Tea last night was Scampi and homemade chips for me and Whitebait and homemade chips for himself.  I do not like Whitebait! Went down very nicely.







Tonight's tea has been simpler.   I am able to source very nice Gammon steaks from the Butchers which are not to expensive. They are also quite a good size and reasonably thick.  So tonight, we have had Gammon steak and pineapple for tea.

One of the things I always do with Gammon is soak it in water for at least two hours prior to cooking with a couple of water changes in between to try and get rid of any excess salt as I do not like things too salty.  I have then cut the thick of the fat at an angle before cooking the meat to stop the steak curling up.  I have not had a full-size steak though as it was far too much for me to manage.

In any event that has also gone down very nicely too.

Soaking in a big bowl of water.



Cooking in the frying pan.  You can see the "feathered" cut edge at the top of the picture.




A small portion half-steak for me.



And a larger version for himself.



This afternoon, I have also done some mending.  I have a thick fleece door curtain at the back door, and some of the stitching had come away.  I have therefore taken that to pieces and re-done it, and then re-hung the curtain.  It makes a heck of a difference in the kitchen, which gets very cold in any event.  So that is one down two more to go.

I also have a door curtain to do for the front room door and also the dining room door.  The kitchen gets like an icebox in the winter and the cats tend to sleep in the dining room on their respective beds, so I decided that I was going to put up a curtain on the dining room door into the kitchen, which faces the back door to try and minimise any draughts.  That has been a job well done and out of the way with.  Think draught excluders are next on the list for both the front and back doors.

I have also received a present today from a very good friend.  I have had a gift of some Quinces.  Thank you.  I am not sure what to do this year, but I quite fancy having a go at making some Membrillo; or if not Membrillo, Quinces in syrup.  I will have a think on that.  I therefore count myself as very lucky.

Tomorrow night's tea is a Barnsley chop each served with veggies.  We have chicken for Sunday dinner this week.   I should get at least a couple of meals out of that during the week including a Chicken stew and stock for soup.

Right am off to potter I have a load of topping and tailing to do for a project I am working on.  More on that tomorrow.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I have always grilled my gammon steaks (have some for tea tonight, so snap!) I do chips in the oven too - covered in a little oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper and sometimes sprinkled with Polenta. I haven't had a deep fat fryer for . . . oh 25 years or so.

    Do you have no heating in your kitchen? We have a small oil radiator which we used to use at Ynyswen on occasion. Very efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB, I would rather grill gammon. OH does not like it done under the grill although it is a lot healthier. Kitchen is always cold even with the radiator on as is the bathroom on the end. In the winter even with the heating on you do not linger for long! Walls also condense up when I have the cooker or the heating on. It is also a very small galley kitchen only just room for one to go through at a time. Have to make the best of what you have. Just one of those things. Take care.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts