A Snow Day

Yesterday evening, and after I had posted, I started planning and plotting for next Christmas and some of the things I want to have a go at through the year to come.  The Calendar has been noted with certain dates, and for certain things to happen; so there is a little preparatory work going on in the background, although I still have loads to update and keep check of  I have lots to achieve next year and I am looking forward to it, even though this year is not yet over.  I intend to use the Dehydrator more this New Year in putting stores away on the Pantry shelf, especially Wild items such as Nettles, Wild Garlic, Elderflower Blossom, Hawthorn Blossom etc. etc. all the usual suspects plus some new ones and a whole host of other items to boot.  So lots of planning and plotting going on in the background as I really want a good start on squirrelling stuff away from the beginning of next year.  I have also been collecting new to me recipes and ideas to incorporate into my yearly routine, so there is going to be lots more experimenting.  

The other day I found my flower presses (all five of them) and I would like OH to make me a very large one on top of these as I also have some ideas for flowers in the garden and for collecting and preserving certain blooms for crafting with.  I also want to preserve certain flowers such as Pot Marigold and other species as edibles and for decorating food, drinking as teas/tisanes, for vinegars, for use in homemade toiletries etc.

It was bitterly cold here yesterday, then the temperature warmed up a little and we woke to a light snowfall first thing this morning.  I thought at one stage that we were going to have more snow, but thus far it has not arrived and what we did have looked more like someone had been busy with a sieve and some icing sugar; however we have had our first snow of this winter.  The lowest expected figure (according to the forecast) is -4 degrees for tonight.

I have not got back into the Pantry today.  I think that will happen tomorrow.  Instead, I met with a friend and we had a brisk walk and put the world to rights.  It was freezing but it does some good as it got the circulation going a bit.  Despite wearing gloves I could not feel my hands when I got in.  Needless to say I soon grabbed a mug of hot tea, but it took my hands nigh on 45 minutes or so to defrost.  I have to warm my hands up gently and not with direct heat but very gradually.  This is the first time I have been out for a few days.

I roasted a chicken for tea tonight in the Ninja and it was cooked in 50 minutes.  I just had a roasted chicken sandwich as I was not that hungry and really did not fancy very much to eat at all.  I cooked chips again for OH and he finished off some baked beans I had lurking in the fridge together with the sliced chicken.  The rest of the scones I made the other day have also been demolished.  I made 20 small Sultana scones all told.  Might have to make some more tomorrow.  Have half a chicken left so will do something with that tomorrow.  I fancy some chicken noodle soup somewhere down the line.  I love soup; OH not so much.

Not much achieved therefore today; however tomorrow will be another day and hopefully will be able to crack on a bit.  I just hope it warms up a bit too, as that also impacts on me with my hands and joints hurting.  Might just have to have some Paracetamol later on to settle things down a bit.  I only take them if I really have to.

Hope everyone is keeping safe and as warm as you can.

Take care.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts