I found Treasure

Last night I did not sleep very well due to Missy not being well; she is however a bit brighter today although she has caught up on her sleep!

Today last minute, I nipped to the Co-Op just to get a couple of bottles of lemonade and also a couple of bottles of Pepsi Max.  Whilst there I came across some reduced Cranberries from £2 for 300g to 86p. I bought 1.5kg in total.  Bargain.  I bought five punnets home with me and sometime between Christmas and New Year, I shall make some Cranberry and Apple Jelly which we use a lot in the Year. 




I already have apples inhouse that will need using up as well as some other items to squirrel away.  I am at my happiest when I can do this.  I had thought that I might have to give this very useful preserve a miss this year, but it seems after all someone was looking after me and gave me quite a saving in the process.  Cranberries keep for quite a while in the fridge from fresh and well past their long stop date.  I do have the option to leave longer if necessary, but I intend to get this one out of the way with and squirrelled away as soon as I can.  I do normally try and preserve a load of this as we use it in all sorts.  If I can get things squared up for next year, I will come Cranberry season again be making far more of them. I am talking Cranberry Sauce, and Cranberry juice (the berries that are left from making this can be used in baking., however when we have Turkey, I make a lovely fresh Cranberry and Grand Marnier sauce which has a delicious tang to it. I work on the basis that I preserve what I can when I can, but equally am sensible enough to let things go if that is not possible for one reason or another.  You do what you do and every little bit helps.  Come the New Year, I shall try and preserve at least one thing if not more a week, but yet again it depends on pennies being spare to do this.  That is not always guaranteed in this day and age.

I will probably have some other fresh ingredients that will need using up as well. I have bought in a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables.  I tend to use fresh where I can, but if something needs using up and I do not think am going to be able to do this then I will often save it by making something else out of it. I do not like wasting stuff.  For instance I have some Lemons; more Lemon Curd is on the cards and the pips I shall grow the seed on and hopefully produce some Lemon plants.  Peels will go for more Lemon Disinfectant/Cleaner.

We have had a simple supper this evening.   A fry up using up some sausages and bacon left over.  Needless to say it has gone down very nicely and filled a spot.

We have also had a rare event happening in that Molly (Mum) and Mischief (daughter) (Mum at top, daughter at bottom),  decided that they were going to share a bed.  Normally they are clipping one another or baiting each other.  Saying that they do normally muddle along, just both are cussed and will not give in.  Mischief is her Mother's daughter.




That just leaves me to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, that is full of love, peace and happiness.  From our home to yours, Merry Christmas.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

P.S. In case like me you have managed to find Red Gold, here is a link to the recipe I use for making Cranberry Jelly.

Cranberry and Apple Jelly



Comments

Popular Posts