Sorting the Pantry

Just a quick pop in as I am going to be engaged for the best part of the day and perhaps tomorrow morning in emptying the Pantry. This has needed to be done for an awful long time but for one reason or another I have not got around to dealing with it.  Today was the day though that the pantry has been earmarked to be cleared out, in readiness for a good scrub out, and then for painting.  Once dry it will then be re-filled and sorted out so that I can find things easily. Just in time for Christmas so that I can establish what I do and do not need to buy. I am planning on doing some baking so this really is needed. Therefore in reality this is going to take a good couple of days to accomplish.  I have jars to empty and wash and then refill so it is going to be time consuming.

Hopefully then for next year I will be able to keep a better tab on things (although I have not done too badly on this front) I can do better and I also know that I need to stock up on certain items. 

I also intend to keep on making preserves throughout the year or when I get bargains. Depends on pennies that are available at the time as well. I think this is going to be very much needed during the coming year.  I will therefore need some shelf-space.  That should all being well be accomplished this week in different areas of the house, but first as I say, The Pantry.

Up to now if I have bought extra items or items on bargains I have kept them in plastic tubs in the dining room. It may have only been one item a week and sometimes nothing, but it all slowly builds up. The boxes are getting in the way and so it is time to get them transplanted where they belong. I am afraid I have a "Squirrel" mentality when it comes to food.  I think I am going to have to source more storage jars though and that is before I have started.

My back is a little easier although I am not running on all pistons.  Emptying the Pantry out is a job that can be done without too much bending and will keep me occupied.  I do choose my moments.

If I can get back later on, I will do but it may well be tomorrow before I am able to post again.

It has been cold here in Peterborough but thanks to quilts, throws and blankets are managing to keep warm with the aid of a hot water bottle overnight and also keeping the house warm - not too hot - enough to take the edge off and keep everyone warm.  Have to be sensible here.  We have a Cottage Pie for tea which I am just off to make.  A substantial meal of this type keeps you warm and feeds the soul, all fuel for the internal central heating system.

Catch you soon, keep warm and safe xx

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I am pretty sure someone told GTM many many years ago that it's cheaper to have an electric blanket than it is to boil the kettle for a hot water bottle (or two) every night. We have always had an electric blanket and it's more efficient than a bottle in warming the bed (well, I reckon anyway). You do choose your moments - emptying and redecorating any room (even a small pantry) in the run up to Christmas is a challenge, but you will be glad and organized when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB no socket available and OH cannot stand heat. Has to have a cold room to sleep in and the window open normally but have put foot down on that. Pantry needs sorting anyways and it will clear a lot of stuff up that is getting in the way once it has done. I will then hopefully be able to locate everything and do more planned cooking. I would quite happily have an electric blanket especially one of the fur type over-blankets. At least he is filling the hot water bottle now as apparently I do not do it properly!!! Does job and keeps me warm - often still luke-warm in morning. Last night's temperatures though reminded me of when I was a child and no heating which was when I developed the arthritis. (even though the heating is on and comes on at a certain temperature)! Keep warm and safe xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts