Just a Quick Pop in

 Today we managed to get to the Butcher to get stocked up a little on the meat.  Have not bought a big joint for this weekend, but have bought a couple of Barnsley chops for our Sunday dinner this week.  Will serve with veggies, mash, peas and plenty of gravy.  A way of having some Lamb without having to spend a lot.  The chops are large ones (sometimes they are not), I think they cost about £11 for the two.  Will pop them into a small roasting tray with a little water, and some mixed herbs.  Put on a foil lid and cook for about 50 minutes before taking the foil off and letting the meat brown off a little.  Keeps the meat moister preparing it this way.  I also make gravy from the meat juices.  Before finishing off the gravy I will add in a little mint jelly as it gives the gravy a lovely flavour.  Maybe next month (depending on the prices) will be able to source a Lamb joint for making garlic and Rosemary stuffed joint with a little red wine for dinner.  Leftovers will be turned into a Posh Shepherd's Pie which is a favourite here.  Will see what we can source then.

I bought 1kg of beef mince.  If you bought a kilo you got a kilo free.  So will probably be prepping chilli, Lasagna, Cottage Pie, Spaghetti Bolognese and maybe homemade meatballs and a form of Cornish pasty (not true I know but have to use what you have to hand).

Have also bought half a kilo of stewing steak.  Might turn this into a Beef and Onion pie or alternatively a stew.  They unfortunately did not have any Beef Skirt today which I was a bit disappointed about as that is becoming a firm family staple here.  I had also been after some Pigs Liver as I had determined that I was going to make some Savoury Ducks as we had not had any for sometime.  Unfortunately no Pigs Liver available either.




There was also an offer on Rump Steak.  A very large Steak which will more than do the two of us.   It came in a pack with mushroom and tomato also.  This will probably be served with some onion gravy and served with some homemade chips, and maybe some Broccoli and Chard, definitely with veggies though for a change.  The gravy does not go on the chips as I am not a fan of gravy and chips! However I do not mind the gravy on the Steak.



I have bought a chicken a large one (bigger than the Christmas one). I shall cook that up as a roast and will get at least a couple of meals out of this. Probably will get a Chicken Pot Pie or Chicken Stew out of the chicken as well. If there are any little bits might make Chicken Chow Mein or Chicken Noodle soup.  Depends on how many bits are left over.  I find a whole Chicken far more economical at the moment as you get far more meat on them. There is of course also the bonus of making stock out of the carcass.  Chicken goes a long way. We used to buy Chicken thighs quite regularly but the price has gone up quite considerably on those, they therefore have to be a bargain for me to buy these at the current prices.

OH wanted a Pork chop. I have a small Pork steak.  Will turn these into a proper meal as well in the same manner as the Barnsley Chops, however shall make a little sage and onion stuffing to accompany them.  Might also make a few Yorkshire Puddings to go with these.

We have bought a couple more of the Meah Tikka Masala sauces.  We keep a look out for the reduced Chicken tenders which are quite often reduced to a good price for making Chicken Tikka Masala or indeed a stir fry with. OH usually manages to get 3 packs for under a fiver.  Technically this would make two meals for us, but nine times out of ten we end up going back for seconds, so it does not make to a second evening's meal. I am going to make my own Naan breads next time round though. Never made these so will see how I get on with it.  I like to be able to mop up the sauce with the Naan.

One kilo of chipolatas came back with us as well.  Destined for Toad in the Hole, breakfasts, sarnies, to accompany the chicken.  These for us are a good buy in that they can be used in many different dishes as well as eating them cold.

Two packs of sausage meat also came home.  Some for Sausage Rolls, and a little stuffing and maybe a Sage and Sausage Plait.

Half a kilo of bacon also came back.  We use these in the cheese and bacon pastries/turnovers, and breakfasts and Quiches or indeed in sarnies.

I also bought a wedge of cheese as we were getting low in the fridge and I do tend to use a lot in cooking generally.  Will need some in any event for making the Cheese and Bacon pastries.



That should keep us going with some good eating for the next week to 10 days.  I also have Pumpkin to use up and make soup with and also Ravioli.  I am therefore blessed to have what I have to work with.

Tomorrow I need to source some Puff Pastry.  I did go around for it today but they did not have any in the freezer.  Hopefully will have tomorrow.  It seems OH was quite taken with the pastries I made earlier in the week and would like a repeat performance.

I also have to source veggies as well.  Will see what there is and then take it from there.  Sometimes you cannot always get what you are after.  However, the veggies I bought before Christmas lasted extremely well.

Will see what I can locate tomorrow.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. Plenty of tasty meals there by the sound of things. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts