Lazy Day

 Today has been a lazy day. We overslept and so were not very early in getting up.  Partly due to a Jack Russell not settling last night and wandering around until the early hours. Unfortunately she is also getting very deaf as well. Sometimes they are worse than children and as she was not very well over Christmas, we have been keeping an eye on her.

I have been pottering cooking in the kitchen though. Some of the roasties I prepared yesterday did not roast all the way through, so I bunged them on again to finish them off.  I then stripped the chicken carcass and all non-meat bits are going to make some chicken stock for use in the next few days. I shall pressure cook the carcass in the Ninja.  Homemade stocks are very useful for soups, stews and gravies as well as for sipping as a hot drink.

I cooked roasted pumpkin yesterday and I intend to have a go at making some Ravioli with some of the pumpkin and also a pumpkin soup. Never done homemade Ravioli before so this will be a first.  Have made pasta though.  I also want to make a Pumpkin and crispy Sage leaf and Bacon Risotto for which I will need homemade chicken stock.  I will also need some fresh Sage and Thyme and cheese.  I am looking for new to me recipes on some of the ingredients I do have to hand and every so often I do have a change up as to what I cook or find recipes where I can use scraps up in different ways.  With the cost of living as it is at the moment too, I am also trying to make sure that we have one good meal a day, with other foods like soups, sarnies, scratch meals also being available if needed; (I am talking things like baked beans on toast, sausage sarnies etc) as they take little time to cook, but still can be very filling meals.

Tonight we have had another repeat of the Roast Chicken meal I cooked yesterday.  

I also set too and sorted out a homemade Rice pudding using what I had to hand. I normally use a very small tin of evaporated milk, to give it a richer creamier flavour but did not have any in-house.  I therefore set too and used up some leftover double cream, some green top milk, sugar, freshly ground nutmeg, and a little butter to make the pudding.  I found a container saying pudding rice, however I am not sure it was pudding rice.  Did not make too bad a pudding in any event.  We have a portion each for pudding tomorrow night as well.







Not sure what we are having for tea tomorrow night.  We are planning to go to the Butcher tomorrow to stock up a little on meat so that we can have some good eating during the next week or so.  Will see what they have, but I do need mince, beef skirt, chipolatas, bacon, a chicken and some sausage meat.  I also need to go to the Veg shop and stock up on veggies as well.  If you have a lot of veggies you have all sorts of cooking to hand either to add to meat or just be purely veg based and speaking for themselves.

I need to do some other shopping as well. I need milk as I intend to have a go at making some homemade Feta cheese over the weekend as well as a fresh batch of yogurt.

I do need to do a little bit more baking at some point as well.  The scones have gone.  

Hope you all have a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts