The Last Jar of Lemon Marmalade and Pannetone Bread Pudding

Was removed from the Pantry Shelf today.  We had some with lovely hot buttery toast for breakfast  Lemon Marmalade is one of my favourite things to make and to have for breakfast.  Although like most Marmalades need not be restricted to toast.  A lot of social information as to how people used to use their preserves has over the years been lost and usually only limited information is available on how to use them.  However, you are only stuck by your own limitations, which often is why the expression "the World is your Oyster" is expressed. It is up to you to push your own boundaries. 



I use Lemon and other Marmalades in sauces and in pancakes and in cakes.  Really it is up to each of us to choose how to use the Preserves as what works for one family need not necessarily for another.  It is all down to our own personal taste.  For instance my OH would have Mint Sauce or Mint Jelly on literally everything.  He is a bit like that with Tomato Ketchup also.  Typically though I do use jams and jellies such as Redcurrant jelly, Apple Jelly, Bramble jelly, Cranberry jelly in gravies, stews and soups too.

We are therefore coming into Marmalade season.  It is something I use a lot of, and as I go along I am finding more and more uses.  Looks as though this year am going to have to make more than I did last, for the simple reason, I had only made 12 jars, some had been given away, and the rest I have eked out and mixed it up with other preserves including Seville Orange Marmalade and used.  I think that Lemon Marmalade this year to make it more accessible and to allow for some gifts I am going to have to make about 24 jars. This is just for the Lemon. This is all part and parcel of making your own preserves.  Finding out what you use, finding out how many jars you need for your family and deciding whether it is going to be useful in your Pantry and requirements.  Some recipes do not work out.  I do not waste the produce though and usually slip it into something else.  Like Chutneys that I am not keen on get slipped into stews.

I have not checked on how many jars of Orange I have left on the shelf, but I will do.  I suspect that I am going to have to make more of that this year as well.  OH seems to be seeing at long last that my Pantry efforts are indeed paying off when I can manage to do them.  I put up a lot of cooking posts on bits and bobs, but I do not always include all of the preserves I am using or how I use them.  We have a lot of snack meals as well as a lot of good cooking.  Also I have a lot of soup. It is one of the best ways to use up veggies a little past their best.

I am currently half way through pickling some Beetroot as well.  It is cooling down in the pan ready to be peeled, and then bottled in vinegar.  Some more useful provisions for the Pantry shelf.  I have made some other things, but will report back on them soon.  I tend to preserve all year, although the predominant periods are towards the end of the year, but there are a lot seasonal hits during the year, such as Strawberries, Plums, Blackberries and of course Apples etc.

Tonight's tea is Roasted Chicken - pick it style with some bread and butter for a change.  



I have also prepared a pudding not that himself realises.  I had a bit of a Pannetone leftover that I was bought for Christmas.  It was delicious a Toffee and chocolate Pannetone, and so I have broken up the Pannetone into chunks and added a little sugar (not much as the Pannetone is sweet), to a pudding dish, and then made a pint of milk up with a couple of whipped eggs.  This is then poured over the broken  up Pannetone.  It is now cooking in the Oven with the Chicken.  I hate waste and I do try and use everything that comes my way up.  It will be served with some tinned oranges.

The Pannetone has chocolate in it, and I did have a look for a few chocolate drops to sprinkle on a little later in the cooking on top as well.  I could not find the chocolate chips/pieces although I know I have some inhouse.  I did find half a bag of the white chocolate orange segments though and so they have been liberally popped on and pushed down into the mix Simple food but good food.  







So some pottering about in the kitchen today.  

It has been chilly day here and I have not long come back from the shop as I needed to top up on veg.  I managed to leave it too late to go to the Veg shop so the Co-Op it was.  Managed to get petit-pois, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and kale to top everything up. Hopefully will get more of a top up during the week. I hate being without any veg or a choice of veg.   Then again it is my own fault for going out late.  In reality I did not realise what the time was. I will also need more eggs.

I am hoping to do some baking tomorrow now to set us up for the week to come.  It does not hurt having a bit extra to eat where you can, especially if you get the munchies.

We will be having for tomorrow night's tea either the Barnsley chops or the Pork Chop and steaks together with veg.  I will probably cook Lasagna and Cornish style pasties up tomorrow as well.

Hope you all have a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts