A little Pottering About Today

No photos today for a change.

Well, we managed to get into the garden for about an hour today.  Despite being a bright sunny day, unfortunately I have found it too cold and have had to come in after an hour as my hands have gone white and then blue.  They have still remained like this after me putting my mitts around a hot mug of tea as well.  Took about half an hour to thaw out.  We are tackling an overgrown Bay tree to start with. OH has set about this with the loppers. The bulk of it has been done today but we will venture out again tomorrow and do a bit more. Not that there is a lot left to do on the tree.  As I cannot do any high lifting at the moment, my arm is not co-operating, I have been picking up the mess and debris left behind created by himself.  

I have also saved some more of the Bay leaves for drying as I am getting low on all those I put up last year. I use them a lot in gravies, stews, cottage pie etc. and sometimes that is on a daily basis.   I therefore have quite a few to dry.  Am going to stick them up on the Dresser again to do this (saving electric).  Will also add to the decoration on the Dresser.  I have also started to process some of the loose leaves as well on a tray to dry out. Just have to make sure the cats cannot get to them.  I want to have a Plethora of Herbs for everyday use this coming season but also for putting up for the winter months as well.  Thinking homemade Bouquet Garni here.

Whilst out in the garden, I have noticed that my Chives are putting in an appearance and I am hoping to add to these. I had six planters full but the fire put paid to them and I only have the one planter left; so hopefully will be able to tidy them up tomorrow.  There are some other bits to sort in the border as well (what we have always called the Herb Garden, but once that is dealt with I can then set about the soil and start tidying that up as well. Then I will get new herb plants in.  I use a lot of herbs and they cost an awful lot to buy for my purse so seeds it is.  You can never have too many.  It will be a Windowsill job for the seeds to start with.  I may buy the odd plant here and there and use as a cutting plant to get some plants on the go a bit quicker as well. I need Rosemary, Parsley, Sage, Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Savoury, Red Sage, if I can get it Penny Royal, Mint, Chocolate Mint, Pineapple Mint, Chervil. Dill Angelica, Borage, Lovage, Nasturtiums, Pot Marigold anything can get my hands on.  I have actually found some polystyrene cartons that we received a large food delivery in. There are two of them and I intend to use them to start some of the seeds off which should keep them safe and warm.  I also have a few containers I have been keeping to use for setting stuff in i.e. mushroom and tomato containers as well as butter and margarine pots.  I intend to start some Mustard and Cress off sometime this week as well.

I love being out in nature on my own, working slowly and methodically, pottering and sorting things. Time to be at peace and at one with myself.  We all need to go within and recharge (certainly I do the more I get older).  I also love growing plants from seeds.

I also have a couple of conical planters.  One of them has an Ivy in and I want to make the other one up the same.  They then hang all year round off brackets outside the back door.  So those need sorting out too.  I have some Ivy I can transplant into the planter from the garden already.

It has been good to get outside even though it has only been for a short while.  Hopefully I will be doing a lot more of this in the weeks to come.  Weather permitting. 

I also feel in the mood for some foraging going on this week as well.  Will go for a walk with OH and then get him to leave me for a little while so that I can potter and find what I am after taking my little basket and some not so pretty bags with me as well.  My foraging kit consists of a pair of marigolds, and some scissors and a roll of plastic bags to separate other items out if I find them. Have plans for lots of goodies for the Pantry shelf and fridge shelf in the coming months.

There is still a lot to do in the main garden as well.  It needs stripping out completely.  If the weather is good will be able to set about tackling this and getting it back into order again. However realistically there is an awful lot to do and I tend to be the Gardener.

I have over the years prepared from scratch my own hanging baskets, window boxes, planters etc.  The window boxes have long been gone but I used to love planting these up and getting different effects from different planting.  One day will be doing it again.

I do not know whether I am too late or not but I intend to have a go at producing some slips from a Sweet Potato to transplant in the garden later on if I am successful with sprouting them.  Also intend to do something similar with Ginger.  Sprouting peas for Pea shoots is also on the agenda and I have plans for using other containers for growing veggies in as well.  However Herb seeds first.

Right am off to potter.  Loving these lighter evenings.  

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


x

Comments

Popular Posts