Getting Stuff Done Part One

Today has been wet, windy and cold.  Have had to put the heating on for a short while as my fingers were going blue again.  We had sun for a short time this morning, but the rest of the day has been horrid.

Last week I popped up a list of things to achieve for the week; and sadly I got "Shanghaied" by other matters so this week I aim to get quite a few of the things out of the way with and what better than a post outlining all those items I have achieved. I had been making notes on the previous post without any kind of report or photos and I therefore thought that this post might serve as double-duty. I need to get motivated and I need to get moving after all Spring is the time when the lighter longer nights appear which gives us more time to focus on items that it is too dark to deal with in the Winter months. A little bit is better than nothing and after all some days are better than others; well they are for me and for many others as well.

Lemon and Orange Vinegar Cleaner

This has been strained and decanted into fresh bottles.  Labels have been added and the bottles of cleaning vinegar have now been added to the "Under-stair" Pantry for use in cleaning throughout the year.  I shall make more batches as I go along, but these particular batches should have been done long before now.  I now have several bottles in-house and ready to use.

Bay Leaves

The single leaves were put to dry by natural methods in nets hanging off the cupboard doors and will be moved around in the nets daily.  The sprays of Bay have been hung off the Dresser in a garland.

Rosehips

Last year, as an experiment, I macerated Rosehips in sugar, by a cold release raw process (which is meant to provide a more natural syrup) which has produced a lovely thick syrup by letting the syrup stand for over three months.  I have left these to strain overnight through a jelly bag to get as much of the syrup as I can, and also filter any hairs or seeds from the Rosehips out.  The syrup will then be decanted into fresh sterilised bottles for use in a boost when someone has a cold, on pancakes, in a fruit salad etc.  I only made one jar of this last year, but have plans to make a lot more this coming autumn.  It is so easy to do.  The time consuming bit is picking the Rosehips and dodging the thorns. The link is here:

Rosehips

The Rosehips leftover in the net, will be tied off in the net and then I will make a Rosehip/Sweet Briar Liqueur to make the most of this.  The original recipe calls for Brandy, however I only have Gin, so Gin it is going to be.  I might add a little bit of stewed Rhubarb (well the juice of) as well.  Will see how things go. I am thinking at this moment that the sourness of the Rhubarb may balance out the sweetness of the Rosehips At this point I do not think that there will be the need for adding in any more sugar, but will taste as I go along.

Wines

All the Demijohns of wine have now been decanted and finished off.  I am looking forward to making more wines in the weeks to come.  Need to stock up on some sugar first.  End of April/beginning of May is always busy on the wine front.

Ferments

Fermented Orange and Lemon Honey macerations for use in drinks, and for giving a boost when in the throes of a cold and also for use in cooking.

Citrus Sugars

I have made another batch of Lemon and Orange Sugar for use in decorating cakes, baking etc.  This is really well worth making and is delightful on pancakes, especially when you do not have either a Lemon or an Orange in site.  Equally makes a good topping for an Orange or Lemon Drizzle cake.

Ivy Cone baskets

These have been added to, watered  up and fed.  I am hoping that the new segments of Ivy root to fill out the baskets that bit more, but they have been tidied up to what they were.  As soon as the new bits have taken I will hang them up on the higher brackets.

Window Boxes and Hanging Baskets

I have had OH put up some brackets on the wall underneath the kitchen windowsill and also the bathroom windowsill.  I always used to have wooden window boxes there but they have rotted and I cannot afford to replace them.  I therefore have two large planters which I think can be utilised by popping them, on a shelf and then screwed into the bottom of the shelf to keep them stable.  I can then fill full of plants to create a useful and practical growing area.  I tend to use things like herbs, Nasturtiums, Ivy etc to pretty it up.  I will also do up hanging baskets as well in a similar vein' predominantly edibles like Herbs and Nasturtiums - mostly edibles. Space has to be productive.

The last third of the Herb garden needs sorting, but I have been unable to get out and deal with it because of the weather.  I am hoping that the weather will sort itself out this week so that I can accomplish this.  Therefore these particular elements are nearer than what they were of being accomplished, but still not quite finished.  However progress has been made.

My chive planter has been tidied out and the chives are starting to thrive.  I still need to get a few more chive plants though as this year I would quite like to make not only dried chives but also chive vinegar.

Seeds Sown so far

Roma Tomatoes.  Have set a full tray of these and there are still plenty of seeds left in the packet.

One so far lonely Ghost Chilli which is growing up nicely.

Dried Peas have been sown for Pea Greens for use as garnish and salads and drying in the form of a green powder for use in cooking throughout the year.

Herbs:

Sage, Parsley, Thyme, Chives, Chamomile

Sweet Potato Slips

I have set three sweet potatoes to form slips on the windowsill.  Never done this before so will see how things go on. It is another experiment in any event.  I am quite partial to sweet potato in any event.  Fingers crossed it works out.

Eco/Recycling

This week I have managed to recycle six jars, some from my canning stash and some from bought items.  They have been sterilised out and popped into the Under-stair Pantry in a large tub for recycled bottles.  Some of them will just need new lids when the time arrives to reuse them.

I have also sterilised out a bunch of proper Kilner Jars out as well which I found purely by chance which was a nice surprise.

Therefore, although not as well along on the "Getting Stuff Done" quest, I have managed to achieve a bit more than I had hoped for.  I have always been one for long lists in any event.  Now to try and tackle the rest of the items.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x



Comments

Popular Posts