Garden Tales Taming the Garden Day 5 Actual Day Wednesday 10 May 2023

 Although not in the garden for a full day, I managed to spend a useful couple of hours inbetween showers on the patio slab border area, which because of the weeds and roots is taking a bit longer than anticipated.  I had initially part weeded the border, which was always intended as a rough weed, before then on another day being able to weed the rest of the long border.  I was aware that there were a lot of roots in the soil and that they needed digging out.  I was able to get the border half-forked over and roots removed yesterday until rain and a thunder storm stopped play.  There was no end of "twitch" and it was difficult in places to dig wherein I reverted to the spade and then went over again with the fork.

Where I started from this morning.  Only half the border had been dug and forked over yesterday.




Today, I have progressed with the fork work completing to the end of that border.  I am hopeful that I will be able to spend more than a few hours on the garden again today, but that will depend on the weather again, as rain is forecast.  I want to start the last border surrounding the slabs which is full of thistles and brambles.  




The full side border after it had been dug and then forked over.  All the "twitch" removed and the soil which came out in clumps "of clay" in places broken down.

This is the start of the top border and the mess I have to clear. I will be working a deep border here right back to the Rhubarb.





I have managed to achieve an awful lot today which I am really chuffed with.  I am not sure my body feels the same way as there has been a lot of bending pulling, swearing, dodging thunder storms and rain as well as getting attacked by thistles and bramble stems both fresh and dead! Thorns through my Crocs, scratches on arms, thorns on the inside of my gloves.  I have nearly worn these gloves out and they were brand new when I started.

After dealing with the side border and having got all the soil turned and all the twitch out I started on the back border of the slabs and the last side to deal with.


To start with I did an initial clipping down of any weed that was standing.  I then did a further cut and then finally was able to get stuck in and pull roots and clear weeds.  I have managed to clear the back border now.  Another day I will start digging with a spade, and then going back over with the fork to get rid of all the twitch and rubbish in the soil.  I have worked far enough back to the Rhubarb and still have the sides and backside of this to work as well.  I have decided that another couple of Rhubarb plants can go in either side of the large one I have. They are currently small plants in pots, so will once the ground is clear dig them both in.  You can never have too much Rhubarb.















And this is all the rubbish i.e. weeds, roots, old brambles, new brambles, thistles, etc. etc. etc.




I have also managed to clear the big pile of dead bramble stems which had been left on the slabs to break down, trim them up and get them into the bin liners in readiness for taking down to the tip.  I have amassed quite a few bags about six I think full of rubbish just from today.  The slabs have also been given a brush down but they really need a good scrub with some hot water and bleach.  As I have mentioned before OH needs to level the slabs and I need to get some weed killer inbetween.  Needs more sand adding inbetween but he can sort that out if and when he sets about the slabs.  They need evening up so that they are not off piste so that the table and chairs can go up; which I think I have mentioned before.

For the best part of the day the sunshine has been out; I had been chilly when I started and had gone out in a jumper, but with all the digging and the fork work, I started to get far too hot and soon ditched the fluffy jumper.

We did not have rain when it was predicted, we had three separate mini showers.  Two of which I worked through as there was not much by way of rain and the third time it was lightning, thunder and rain again.  As it was tea time and I needed to cook, I just came in.  I have nipped out since then though as I had forgotten to take some photos of what I had actually achieved today which are included above.

So all in all a very successful day. Still loads to do.

Another update will be in the pipeline shortly.

Catch  you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. You are doing a splendid job of clearing the garden. A few years ago mine was in a similar state and after a couple of weeks fighting with it, I gave in and employed professionals. Your achievements make me feel ashamed of myself. [I am waiting for a hip replacement, but it wasn't too bad at that time.] I look forward to seeing it planted up and looking glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I think I am just cussed! I do love gardening along with lots of other things. It is hard work and I am just going for it where I can. If there was a time restriction on me getting things done I would not be so far along and would beat myself up about it. This way suits me better just biting of chunks of determinate size here and there. The other part of me is perfectionist but as long as it is tidier and more manageable and I get some food out of it at the end of the day will be a long way forward. Realistically If I get things under control it will be next season that pays dividends. I have a bad arm have ruptured two tendons and have rotor cuff issues but do what I can when I can. I am trying to grow things that will come back next year (that is if I have not killed them off in the meantime). Sorry about your hip it must be very uncomfortable. Please do not feel unhappy with yourself. You have one pair of hands and have to deal with things how you can at the time. No decision is wrong at the time of actually making it, it is circumstances that change. There is a long way to go, but at least am achieving something. You take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing a brilliant job, gardening can be very hard work but rewarding. I have started painting our fences, 5 panels and the gate done so far, then resorted to weeding the back border which is full of hawthorn and elder seedlings courtesy of our old hedge. Its never done but when it looks so nice its a pleasure. Take Care Gill. Xx

      Delete
    2. thank you. very tiring xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts