Saturday Potterings Part Two

 In its own inimitable style today has been a busy day one way or another even though it has been wet.

I eventually got to the Veg shop and managed to pick up some reduced peppers and lemons and also a massive Cauliflower for £1.25 and a Romanesco for £1.  Both are pretty hefty but I am glad to have both.  I also have some Cherry tomatoes in order to make a preserve with, and some Leeks.  They did not have any eggs left, but a new delivery is due on Tuesday and so I shall go and collect them then.  They are already paid for.

I also picked up some reduced Mushrooms from the local shop and they are also going towards another preserve.  More will be revealed if they are successful.  Needless to say both are delicate preserves that will need to be stored in the fridge, but it will be good to have some different preserves to hand when I need them for cooking during the winter months just to pep things up a little.  Only little projects but I am hoping that they will provide a little more choice on the cooking front.

I am concerned about veg and fruit, and am trying to provide for this one way or another during the winter months to come as I want to provide some good eating where I can or items to go with items.  I intend to deal with the following items over the next few days:

Finish off the Chicken Stock - it is still cooking, but now needs to chill overnight to solidify any fat that may be there so that it can be de-capped and the stock underneath be decanted into jars and processed.  The idea is to make some shelf stable stock for the Pantry shelf. Little by Little.  Veggie stock is on the menu as well.

Check on the drying mint to see which stage it is and whether it is dry enough to decant into its jar.  If not wait a few more days.

Finish off the Basil stored in oil/oil which I started yesterday.  I ran out of Basil so have been and topped it up.  Very much a fridge preserve.

Check to see how the Basil I am drying is getting on.

Dehydrate the Carrot tops for green powders.

Dehydrate the cheap peppers I managed to get hold of for  use in stir fries, soups etc. during the winter months.  I managed to get three bags of mixed peppers for 50p a bag.

2 Baskets/Bowls of Lemons.  The skin on the Lemons is very good and so I may use these for a jar of preserved Lemons (something we have not tried before) and maybe a small quantity of Lemon Chutney.  Will see will probably have changed my mind by the time I get to use them.

Process the Cherry Tomatoes.

Process the Mushrooms.

I did try and get some Celery but neither the Veg shop or the local shop had this.  Something I will have to look out for.  I need some for drying.

I also need some standard Carrots, Parsnip and maybe some Swede for yet another project. As well as mixed root vegetables for making some of the Souper Mix which I make on an annual basis. I may have to wait a little longer in order to make these, but will see what we can locate.

So plenty of plans afoot.  All little bits, but they all help go towards the bigger picture.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening. I have all sorts to keep me occupied.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts